Historic: A classic NBA field day...

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

NickWallingford

BOP Club
Tauranga
Experience
Retired
I posted earlier today of the APINZ Hub Field Day that was held in Gisborne yesterday, a great event...

So figured I should follow up with history...

The NBA had a long tradition of field days, going back more than 100 years. Branch organised, generally. Some branches over time getting a reputation for 'good field days' - West Coast, Canterbury, Waikato, Bay of Plenty come to mind for me, but many NBA branches would hold an annual 'field day' event.

This is a posting about a 1926 "Auckland Provincial Branch" of the NBA and their February field day, held at the State Apiary, on the Ruakura Farm. This was one of the training facilities promoted by Isaac Hopkins in his (influential) time with the Department of Agriculture.

The last page of the small, card printed folder describes the train connections, so the Auckland beekeepers (and others) could get off at Ruakura!

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Very interesting Nick!

Very tight schedule, and written questions only ;).

Bet there was some great hospitality, would have loved to have been there

Gisborne Tairawhiti
Experience
Researcher
15 minute slots Nick ! !?? Crikey, many people are just warming up after 15 mins !
After the Canterbury field day and hearing how well that was received, and the Gisborne feedback (to date) then I hope other areas/cities will think of field days. There are thoughts about getting a potential list of speakers available if various research or topics of interest. I think Martin and @Dennis Crowley were excellent speakers and I liked the way Dennis spoke about leading/educating the orchardists (and setting the price based on their requirements) rather than the current price-taker environment in other apiculture areas.

Reactions: NickWallingford