AFB stats - by bkpr

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
But any reasons for why the PPBK exponents feel that way about scientists - and science?
anti-social, anti-establishment ?? lack of training, lack of wanting to be trained.

but also i think a big part of it is what Randy Oliver wrote about people reacting to mite resistance. (i shall see if i can find the exact quote).

Reactions: JohnF and Bee Real
maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
anti-social, anti-establishment ?? lack of training, lack of wanting to be trained.

but also i think a big part of it is what Randy Oliver wrote about people reacting to mite resistance. (i shall see if i can find the exact quote).
"
Our reaction to it reminds me of the five stages of dealing with trauma (greatly paraphrased from Kubler-Ross 1997):

Stage 1: Denial (this isn’t happening to me! There can’t be mites on my bees.)

Stage 2: Anger (You little hive-killing buggers—I’m gonna obliterate you with my Silver Bullet!)

Stage 3: Bargaining (Apistan’s not working any more—please give me another Silver Bullet!)

Stage 4: Depression (It’s just too danged hard to keep bees anymore!)

Stage 5: Acceptance (I accept the mite as a formidable enemy that I’ve got to learn to live with)

After we’ve passed through these five stages, we have a chance at Recovery, which in this case, is coexistence with the mite, with bees bred for handling the mite on their own."

in my experience the above is bang on.

Bay of Plenty
Experience
Commercial
Yes, science has some established processes . . . .but 'of the establishment' ? It must be the white coats.
Don't you know John, you all controlled and payed by Big Pharma, unlike the 'real' scientist who are mixing lotions and potions with a bit of flora and getting peer reviewed on facebook, insta and tik tok.
Now if you were to dress in a bikini and take a selfie down at the beach holding a bee and a tree leaf we would see you truly are a scientist 'for the people'

Gisborne Tairawhiti
Experience
Researcher
Don't you know John, you all controlled and payed by Big Pharma
I wish, Dennis! Even little Pharma would do me. . . .

Now if you were to dress in a bikini and take a selfie down at the beach holding a bee and a tree leaf we would see you truly are a scientist 'for the people'
You would certainly see me as *something* . ..I just don't know what !

• Haha
Reactions: Alastair
Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
I would like some funding, so I could go and do a varroa count on a warm Pacific reef! Not fussy which reef, as long as it's got interesting stuff to look at and a good nearby bar and fish restaurant. I could even run to an alcoholic varroa wash count in the bar!

Bay of Plenty
Experience
Commercial
I would like some funding, so I could go and do a varroa count on a warm Pacific reef! Not fussy which reef, as long as it's got interesting stuff to look at and a good nearby bar and fish restaurant. I could even run to an alcoholic varroa wash count in the bar!
Dont wast the booze on the varroa, just drink enough that you only have to breath on the bees and varroa fall off

Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
Dont wast the booze on the varroa, just drink enough that you only have to breath on the bees and varroa fall off
OK - Will take suggestion on board - Is this the opinion of practised experience? That will save me having to sieve the varroa through my teeth. I guess I could also throw the Sistema varroa counter container out on the reef!