Alternative PMP proposals?

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

NickWallingford

BOP Club
Tauranga
Experience
Retired
The 21 Apr 2023 meeting of the AFB PMP Management Agency board signals that there has been additional alternatives provided to the Minister, along with the Mgmt Agency's own review and proposals for change:

3.2 Plan order review update
Mike advised the Board that the Minister had received four proposals in addition to the proposal submitted by the Management Agency. MPI is currently working on providing an initial briefing to the Minister.

I am aware of the proposal provided by NZ Bkpg Inc, but had not been aware of any other significant proposals or related consultation.

When the original PMS (now PMP) was being developed, we identified one of the risks we faced was a well-organised, well-funded - maybe even well-meaning - unfriendly PMS. That is, an organisation that already had some experience with pest management generally, such as the then Animal Health Board, might propose their own PMS to the Minister, and either (1) tie things up in knots for a time (2) actually get the Minister's approval.

But in this case, it seems to me that it is saying that four proposals/alternatives to the existing PMP had been sent to the Minister. It seems these are more than simply a personal/business submission on the PMP Review that was sent direct - it implies to me that they are being seen as full-fledged PMP alternative proposals, complete with all the requirements relating to consultation, cost:benefit analysis, etc?

Does anyone know what these "four proposals" might actually refer to?

Bay of Plenty
Experience
Commercial
The 21 Apr 2023 meeting of the AFB PMP Management Agency board signals that there has been additional alternatives provided to the Minister, along with the Mgmt Agency's own review and proposals for change:

3.2 Plan order review update
Mike advised the Board that the Minister had received four proposals in addition to the proposal submitted by the Management Agency. MPI is currently working on providing an initial briefing to the Minister.

I am aware of the proposal provided by NZ Bkpg Inc, but had not been aware of any other significant proposals or related consultation.

When the original PMS (now PMP) was being developed, we identified one of the risks we faced was a well-organised, well-funded - maybe even well-meaning - unfriendly PMS. That is, an organisation that already had some experience with pest management generally, such as the then Animal Health Board, might propose their own PMS to the Minister, and either (1) tie things up in knots for a time (2) actually get the Minister's approval.

But in this case, it seems to me that it is saying that four proposals/alternatives to the existing PMP had been sent to the Minister. It seems these are more than simply a personal/business submission on the PMP Review that was sent direct - it implies to me that they are being seen as full-fledged PMP alternative proposals, complete with all the requirements relating to consultation, cost:benefit analysis, etc?

Does anyone know what these "four proposals" might actually refer to?
My understanding is,(but I could be mistaken) one from NZBeekeeping, one from Ashburton mirroring/similar to NZBeekeeping proposal and one from Taranaki to wipe it all together, I haven't been consulted/asked to consult on any of them so unsure how they meet the criteria

Reactions: NickWallingford

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Oh that's interesting. Please update in due course it would be interesting to know more about this.

I suspect I may know who some of the characters are who are involved.

NickWallingford

BOP Club
Tauranga
Experience
Retired
With no PMP, AFB is 'deregulated' entirely. That is, there would be no obligation to inspect, no obligation to report, no obligation to destroy. There would be no impediment to (even knowingly) spreading AFB.

We had that situation once - it was the time prior to 1907...

It saddens me that the Minister is required to take these sorts of proposals seriously. I would doubt that even the proposer would have to think twice if all the implications were thought through.

What if no PMP?