Commercial Only: auto pricker frame splitter upgrade

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sign up
8,436
4,867
maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
i'm told we are the first to get the new frame splitter for the auto pricker.
hopefully this fixes the main issue which causes frame jamming.

the good news, it works well on dry frames. it seams to work consistently. it has a few program updates which sorts a few other other issues. like the limit on reties. the old one would retry every time it miss fed and keep retrying until you stop it or it pounds it self to bits. the new program does a couple of tries and then stops. neat.

the bad news is i have a long list of things to fix.
the major one is they replaced the feet with castors, but didn't trim the legs down to suit. so now its sits higher and the deboxer etc doesn't fit. plus the end sprocket assembly was changed which also means the deboxer won't fit. not to mention chain installed wrong way around and not remotely tight (there is no chain guide on this one, so loose chain means it can easily come off)

the main pricker unit got shifted forward which allows more processed frames to be stored, but they didn't move the sensor so extra frames cannot be stored. :rolleyes:

the pneumatic airline plumbing looks like the school kid did it. wrong fittings used, necking down pipes, pipe kinked, excessively long pipes and then pressure wound up an extra 30psi to compensate for all the extra restriction. having it set at 120 psi would mean we would have to go spend $5-10k on a new air compressor. so i spent most of today fixing most of that, now it runs just fine set at 90 psi. the other plus is less air is used/wasted so its cheaper to run.

tomorrows job is to tackle the wiring. because they didn't move the wiring i can't get the control box to swing out of the way and get access to the other parts.
that wiring will get pulled out, re routed and sensors relocated to where they should be.

so its looking like a couple of weeks work before i can get honey put through it (which is sitting and waiting) and then be able to give a decent review of it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Manz
8,436
4,867
maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
well i'm cranking through the repairs.
got the wiring and sensors sorted. i took out ~2m of air hose from the side clamps that wasn't needed (which would just waste lots of air).
fitted proper sized fittings and pipes in places. chains all fixed up and reinstalled correctly.

got some test runs in.
found frames hit on of the cut outs, which looks like it was machined by a trained rat. spent some time with the dremel grinding the angles better.

tested some stuck together frames and it split them apart with a big bang. i'm liking the much lower air pressure i have it at.
testing different width frames is still to come.

one really good thing is that if a frame doesn't exit well, it gets pushed down the line by the next frame coming in. on the old setup if it didn't exit well it would hang up on the rear gate and cause all sorts of fun. so a bit more fault tolerant in that area.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Manz and Grant
8,436
4,867
maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
santa came today with a present, the missing parts that was taken off the auto pricker. the main one being the guides i need to put back on.

i welded new legs to the deboxer and cleaning stand so now it can fit with the auto pricker.
the 'bracket' between the deboxer and pricker just fits, otherwise i need to shorten it to make it fit perfectly which would be a sod of a job.

just have to rework the guides (as the old mounting holes no longer exist) and it should be all ready to put honey through.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Manz
8,436
4,867
maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
test run time !
got some frames through the pricker today. rather slow going sorting out the tuning and fixing other faults (wear and tear).
the frame separating mech is working well, tho it does have easy frames (plastic) going through it. but it didn't fault with a few broken wooden frames that i would not normally put through.
there is a little bit of steel sticking down that needs grinding off.

also got to test run the new pump from HD process. bit of a special order, its lower geared than normal. they reckon its "lowest geared pump in the country" lol. (its same gearing as one of our old ones) it works perfectly and about the right speed.
one of the problem you can get is pumps running to fast (even at minimum speed with a vsd) and you end up wasting time baby sitting it.
i like to just leave them running and go do other things.
 
8,436
4,867
maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
update:
~5000 honey frames through so far and zero jams. :love:
note that this is with easy frames, the gummed up frames will be later in the season.
and that its set at 90lb air pressure. ymmv.

also worth mentioning that we cruised through 200 boxes in a start late, long coffee break, long lunch, leave early kind of day. you go a lot quicker when you don't have to un-jam a machine constantly.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Dansar


Top