Bayvarol late winter early spring treatment

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Auckland
Experience
Hobbyist
I am changing to Bayvarol this year. For my late winter/early spring treatment I have not been able to find advice on the best month to apply the treatment in Auckland. Your advice would be welcome

Auckland
Experience
Hobbyist
Was using Apiguard for early spring dose and Apistan for post harvest.
Used Apitraz for post harvest this year.
I am not new to the forum but have not used it for so long I had to re-register. Still got my old Avatar & "Name".

Reactions: Trevor Gillbanks
maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
For my late winter/early spring treatment
Was using Apiguard for early spring dose and Apistan for post harvest.

first thing is early spring is to far early for any treatment. treating when theres very few mites in the hive won't achieve anything.
lack of treating in spring buildup means mites ramp up rapidly as the bees do.

apiguard won't work early spring or even in spring, far to cold. its more of a autumn treatment when temps are up to the required temps.

i don't talk "months" as i really dislike calendar treatment. need to work with what your bees and weather is doing.

Auckland
Experience
Hobbyist
Thank you for your feedback Tristan. It is a bit confusing really as the treatment for spring needs to go in 8 weeks before the nectar flow starts. In the Waitakere Ranges we get the first of the nectar flow typically in late September/ early October. So typically we would treat in August when we see bee numbers increasing. If we leave it too much later we get the problem of chemical in the honey. I was interested as much in whether users of Bayvarol used a different treatment regime than those who use Apistan or Apiguard.

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
I was interested as much in whether users of Bayvarol used a different treatment regime than those who use Apistan or Apiguard.
apiguard or apivar/Apitraz ?
apiguard is a total different ball game. its always "different".
otherwise bayvarol use is the same apistan.

is a bit chem in honey that big a deal? as your a hobbyist your not selling it.
you could leave that honey for the bees.
the catch is if you treat to early, mite number will ramp fast after treatment is done and you then need to do mid season treating right in the middle of honey flow. its something you need to play by ear.

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
If it was me, for what it's worth, use the O/A in the spring. Monitor and wash hives as you go and you'll soon build up a picture of whether you have an issue or not.
The O/A will supress the low mite numbers.
The issue seems to be later in the year when you get peak population and the mites start to gain a foothold.
I'd keep the synthetics til then.