Commercial beekeeping during covid lockdown level 4

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
The risk in Canterbury is very very low now. Not zero… it’s never zero. But with todays announcements on ChCh wastewater it’s very low.

Provided they don’t flat/live/bubble with international air crews, then I would get on with life.

If you’re anxious about the effects of COVID, get the jab. Even through you might still get COVID your likelyhood of getting seriously sick or ending up in ICU drops dramatically.

My 5cents worth.

West Coast
Experience
Hobbyist
Uh Huh ...... I have two NewBees on this year .... so I need to be quite intimate with both of them !
Perhaps they both join my bubble and come and live here .....
Or maybe I say 'No Vax, No job' ..... but I'm told that is not acceptable in todays social enviro.
Or maybe I say 'No Vax, No job' ..... but I'm told that is not acceptable in todays social enviro.
That depends on the wording of your employment contract

Mosgiel
Experience
Hobbyist
That depends on the wording of your employment contract
For new employees you can put it in the contract that no jab no job but you cannot change existing contracts for existing employees. Going forward it will be in all contracts so that you would not be putting your employees health and safety as risk by having unvaccinated working with vaccinated.

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Its been a while
But when I have been working in Africa and other far away places I had to have alsorts of different jabs as a condition of my employment including booster jabs for the many of the above
Gamma Globulin self injected in the butt ..... aeeeaaaooooh !

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Been a stunner of a day.
I've been back to bees I worked two and a bit weeks ago.
This time around I poked into the bees, pulled frames out and took stock of the situation ..... brood, feed and varroa.
The feed is tight. Most got a syrup feed.
Every Hive got varroa treatements too ..... O/A strips from Hive world.

The interesting thing was opening the drone brood with the cappings scratcher. Varroa .....

The other thought was that I need to start raising a few cells as many of the hives will need splitting soon.
And the other thought was that this year might be quite a good year. Many of the Cockies are commenting on the amount of clover in the paddocks...... already.
I have noticed ont he farm here that the grass growth is probably three weeks ahead of norm.

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
True ....the wax moth is non existent this spring because of the cold ..... I would have thought the mite would also have been a bit slow to bounce back .....but no, it's a real survivor.