Control of Varroa using Oxalic / Glycerine applications

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sign up
2
2
N. Ontario, Canada
Experience
International
Have just re-registered on the new forum software. Totally lost:unsure:! I followed with interest the discussions on the Oxalic / glycerine applications. Not much discussion going on in the forums on the N. American continent. Much more awareness here. I have played around with the shop towels and the bookbinding cardstock. I have a small supply of the swedish discloth material that I will load up and put on in the spring. Probably April here at 46.00 deg N.

Mite levels were very low till the end of summer but I possibly had a big influx from some recent new bees in the area. I had to do 10 or so OA vaporizations at 3-5 day intervals before I got mite drops down close to zero. The strips dont seem to have the power to handle much external mite invasion.
 

Mummzie

Staff member
Gold
1,088
959
Tasman
Experience
Hobbyist
I'm sure there will be more comment coming as we are just getting to treatment time.
Have you used the gib paper tapes?
 

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
10,266
4,797
Have just re-registered on the new forum software. Totally lost:unsure:!
Ironically its exactly 11 months to the day since your 1st/last/only post on the old site, so welcome back. :)
There are some instructions in the welcome conversation you were sent, so try that for starters and we look forward to hearing more from you (y)
 

Josh

Gold
791
529
Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
As a struggling beginner hobbyist I’ve given up on trying to be organic with OA/GLY. My mite counts were always good, but I’m going to keep it in reserve and take the longstanding advice of get good at the tried and tested.

I know there’s been a lot of opinion, anecdotes and general discussion about it on here. I can’t wait to see some evidence. Some academic must be gagging to get there hands on it, if they haven’t already to run a randomised head to head trial.

Ultimately I’d love a strip dispenser (with built in squeegy to ring it out) - a bit like a durable box of tissues. I’d buy that to avoid the need for mixing my own up. When you only get 1hr to slip out and work the hive(s) and you discover an issue, then it might be 10 days or more till your back again with little or no time to make up strips in between.

Shame it’s so cheep, no industry involvement. Luckily it’s cheap, no need for industry involvement
 
2
2
N. Ontario, Canada
Experience
International
I think it likely someone will come up with a process that will not require heating to dissolve the OA crystals. Perhaps the addition of just the right percentage of alcohol would keep the OA in solution long enough to be absorbed and then evaporate, leaving the strip suitably dry. Some of my first trials left the strip too juicy and the bees threatened to abscond.

I think the swedish dishcloth material is promising but so far have not found a bulk source to make the price attractive. I sewed up a some of the gib tape strips and decided that was too much work unless a person really mechanized the operation.

In our colder climate we have more opportunity to catch the bees broodless and the OA vapor is very effective then. I just need the strips to hold the line during the summer. I think you have a much harder go in NZ.
 
715
563
Christchurch
Experience
Semi Commercial
I usually get lots of dead bees falling out the front door when I put Staples in. It has always been typical for me. This time I put the usual four staples per brood box and not a single dead bee! All of my hives just last week🤗
 
17
13
Auckland
Experience
Hobbyist
Hi @crofter. There are several trials for the staples and over the years we learned that any OA/GL treatment MUST be placed in between the frames. Having the shop towels on top of the frames it will not give a good result as the staples hanging between the frames.
At the first time I followed other's recommendation to soak the staples and just give them a quick wipe at the edge of the bucket. The reality is that staples will still be wet and the bees don't like them. Lately I changed to the newer method and I hang out my sticky staples to dry for 24-48 hours. Then I keep them in a sealed bucket for few weeks. The bees work them nicely with no problems. And the mite level looks good(no counting, but no visible mites either - I uncap drone brood).
 


Top