Doug Briscoe, Don Barrow

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

NickWallingford

BOP Club
Tauranga
Experience
Retired
I'm researching and writing an article about the life members of the old National Beekeepers' Association and need some help...

I'm managed to identify all the people who have been honoured, and details about most. But two life members still elude me - and the irony is that they were both from here in Tauranga, and I knew them both well.

I simply can't locate birth/death details for either, though each would be about 100 if still living.

If anyone knows people in either of the Briscoe or Barrow families, I hope you'll put them in touch with me. I know Don had a son here in Tauranga (Angus?) but I haven't had any luck in getting information about either Don or for Doug (who I think moved up to Auckland when he retired in the early 1980s?).

Here's hoping!

Nick Wallingford
Tauranga

Reactions: Rob's BP

NickWallingford

BOP Club
Tauranga
Experience
Retired
In my rapid editing, I left out the lines with their names in the clear: Don Barrow and Doug Briscoe.

Both did enough for the industry that they were made Life Members.

Don Barrow and his brother Charlie Barrow were Bay of Plenty beekeepers from probably the 1950s. Charlie died before my time, but Don was around the BOP branch in the 1980s. I remember last seeing him probably 8 or 10 years ago now (?) in Tauranga, and then only for a short catch up.

Doug Briscoe was a Dept Ag, then MAF, apiary advisory officer. He made quite a reputation for himself on the West Coast, then later transferred to Tauranga. He signed my first inspector's warrant - the equivalent of AP2, I guess, at the time. Doug retired in the early 1980s, and I think I remember hearing he was moving to Auckland, but never heard more.

I'd sure like to know where they are, both for the article I'm writing, but also just on a personal basis.

Nick Wallingford
Tauranga

Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
Russell Berry would probably know what happened to Don Barrow. I remember both of them but it would be over 30 years since I saw either of them

Katikati
Experience
Commercial
In my rapid editing, I left out the lines with their names in the clear: Don Barrow and Doug Briscoe.

Both did enough for the industry that they were made Life Members.

Don Barrow and his brother Charlie Barrow were Bay of Plenty beekeepers from probably the 1950s. Charlie died before my time, but Don was around the BOP branch in the 1980s. I remember last seeing him probably 8 or 10 years ago now (?) in Tauranga, and then only for a short catch up.

Doug Briscoe was a Dept Ag, then MAF, apiary advisory officer. He made quite a reputation for himself on the West Coast, then later transferred to Tauranga. He signed my first inspector's warrant - the equivalent of AP2, I guess, at the time. Doug retired in the early 1980s, and I think I remember hearing he was moving to Auckland, but never heard more.

I'd sure like to know where they are, both for the article I'm writing, but also just on a personal basis.

Nick Wallingford
Tauranga

Nick, I expect you could get some more detail from the old guard at AsureQuality. I expect that for instance Murray Reid can point you in the right direction.

NickWallingford

BOP Club
Tauranga
Experience
Retired
I did try that, particularly as it relates to Doug Briscoe. Murray would have been the only one who knew him, I expect. And he says he never heard much more from or about him after his (Doug's) retirement.

Doug was born Nov 1921. Started work with the Dept Ag in 1948. Retired about 1981 or so, near as I can remember - and I think that was when Trevor Bryant got the MAF position. I did part time inspector work for him in the Rotorua area for a few years before that.

And I guess I should use a phone, much as I hate them, to try to find one of the Barrow family. Almost certain to still have some in the Bay of Plenty.

Reactions: Gerrit