NZBF: Mesh for nucs in Canterbury?

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
Online, as always, there’s is conflicting information online.

I’ve built up some nucs from local flatpack supplier. They don’t have mesh floors yet. But many supplied nucs do. And ventilation is “good”.

But then their are polynucs etc where the advertised benefit is insulation.

probably variations in benefit depend on region as much as anything.

so in my wooden nucs, do I bother installing mesh floors in my wooden 5 frame nucs in Canterbury ?

Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
Hey the benefit of adding mesh foors/vents for me is i make up nucs all day and drop them at a yard at the end of the day bang cage queens in good to go if I wasn't making nucs for production/sale i wouldn't bother venting them if im overwintering autumn nucs i cover the vents up ,an easy way to vent them is a hole saw drill set, pretty simple and the smaller vents doesn't compromise the strength of your nuc floors

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Nah Bro .... to my mind a mating nuc needs to warm and dry ..... and a mesh floor goes against the mill for that. Jam them in warm and tight .... better mating, better build up.
We sent thousands of nucs up North in the boom days and put mesh on the core flute lids, and that was only to keep them, cool in the refrigerated B train ..... for what its worth.