NZBF: Mixing frame sizes

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Dannevirke
Experience
Beginner
This is my first post here and it will be my first winter. I have two hives consisting of: 2FD brood boxes, QE, then a 3/4 super with about 3 full frames each ( due to bad back problems). Both colonies appear to be strong at this point. Question: When I winter down, I want to keep the two FD brood boxes (I think), take away the QE and the super and feed the 3/4 frames of honey back to the bees in winter. Is it okay to put 3/4 frames into the top FD brood box for this purpose? Also, would it be better to compact the two brood boxes down into one? There is no beekeeping club around here (Dannevirke), so it's somewhat hard to get any local information.

Reactions: Grant

Mummzie

Staff member
Tasman
Experience
Hobbyist
I totally agree with the recommendation to go all 3/4 and the document describes how to go about it.

It takes time and for this winter you need advice. Are your frames in your 3/4 Manley or Hoffman?. Manley have no shaping and fit 8 to a box whereas Hofmans fit 10. The problem with putting a 3/4 frame in a FD box is that the girls decide to fill up the space and will draw comb on the bottom (particularily in spring)

In order to answer your question about reducing from 2 boxes to 1- you would need to describe or post a photo of the population.
When you open the box, how many frames are fully covered in bees? You can see this by looking in the gaps between the frames.
Also- how many frames of honey do your girls have in the FD boxes?

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
and feed the 3/4 frames of honey back to the bees in winter.
first thing is does your DECA allow you to feed honey to your hives?

take the 3/4 off. extract the honey, yummy, and store the 3/4. in spring do the conversion to 3/4 brood.
winter the hive as doubles, just make sure its packed with stores. feed sugar if required.

Are your frames in your 3/4 Manley or Hoffman?
excellent question.

Manley have no shaping
actually they do. its simplicity frames that don't.

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
thats a simplicity frame (tho technically a modified version of it). notice the straight sides. that makes it easier to make them yourself (which we used to do).

thats a manley, wooden versions are similar shape.

Christchurch
Experience
Beginner
@tristan said: take the 3/4 off. extract the honey, yummy, and store the 3/4. in spring do the conversion to 3/4 brood.

Being in Dannevirke you would need to check it for tutin?

Also the comment about if your DECA let's you feed honey. Surely you can feed honey from the same hive to the hive?

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
@tristan said: take the 3/4 off. extract the honey, yummy, and store the 3/4. in spring do the conversion to 3/4 brood.

Being in Dannevirke you would need to check it for tutin?

Also the comment about if your DECA let's you feed honey. Surely you can feed honey from the same hive to the hive?

feeding honey or pollen back to hives is just a bad idea.
i know, there is ways to mitigate risk etc etc but its still a fantastic way to spread afb around.
as we all know beeks go from one hive to heaps really quickly.

for a beginner its simply best to avoid doing risky stuff and not fall into the bad habits that turn a small problem into a disaster that effects everyone else.

kaihoka

Gold
whanganui inlet
Experience
Hobbyist
I had a 3/4 box over two FD brood boxes .
There was empty comb in the FD so I moved half the 3/4 down for winter .
That hive went in the hakea over winter and the bees drew comb on the bottom of the frame to fit the FD box .
The frames are still like that , the seem quite solid strong on the unframed comb.

Trevor Gillbanks

Founder Member
Palmerston North
Experience
Hobbyist
I had a 3/4 box over two FD brood boxes .
There was empty comb in the FD so I moved half the 3/4 down for winter .
That hive went in the hakea over winter and the bees drew comb on the bottom of the frame to fit the FD box .
The frames are still like that , the seem quite solid strong on the unframed comb.
That extra comb will all be drawn as drone comb. Yes it still works and the bees will fix it. But why would you want all those extra drones. Unless you are doing drone trapping or queen breeding.