new hot room

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Bay of plenty
Experience
Commercial
I had a search across the NZ Bkpr magazines, but didn't spot anything. Actually, I'm a bit surprised that there aren't any really complete and useful articles about hot rooms. Often mentioned as part of the overall process, but I just thought I might be able to find something that at least gave a framework for temperatures, air flow, time, etc. The sort of thing Andrew Matheson or Cliff Van Eaton - maybe Murray Reid - would have written...
It was probably all of 20 yrs ago that I read the article at it was from a stack of beekeeper mags that were old at the time. There were some good articles among them.

kaihoka

Gold
whanganui inlet
Experience
Hobbyist
Does anyone use those big diesel heater blowers or would the fumes contaminate the honey .
It must be one really big energy sucking electric heater to heat up that big space .
Are there bees hanging around the doors of a warm room filled with honey ?

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
Does anyone use those big diesel heater blowers or would the fumes contaminate the honey .
It must be one really big energy sucking electric heater to heat up that big space .
Are there bees hanging around the doors of a warm room filled with honey ?
the fumes would be a major problem, as well as all the moisture it would generate.
i had a quick look at diesel powered boilers that you could run radiators off. cost plus council consents for the fuel tank are the issues.
lpg is not bad as the boiler is cheaper, but once you go over two tanks you requires consents etc.

yeah the power bill is horrific. maybe one day go to heat pump (expensive as most don't go hot enough), tho we have looked at installing a rather large solar panel array.

bees don't hand around the hot room. they just get drawn to any light source.
now if you combine lights and fans things get messy fast.

Reactions: kaihoka

NickWallingford

BOP Club
Tauranga
Experience
Retired
It was probably all of 20 yrs ago that I read the article at it was from a stack of beekeeper mags that were old at the time. There were some good articles among them.
Yes, indeed @Jamo - the magazines had heaps of articles of practical interest, or showcasing gadgets. That's part of what motivated me to start digitising old beekeeping materials - the fear they might be lost to 'usefulness'.

I still have a ways to go for 'usefulness' and so forth, but still fun to dive into an old magazine: http://beekeeping.nz/NZBDA/NZBkpr

1914-1922
1939-2005 (where I somewhat arbitrarily stopped!)

Reactions: Dansar