Placing 2 cells with a queen excluder

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sign up
939
1,672
Croatia
Experience
International
Little update about success with placing 2 qcells separated with qe. I managed today to open only 4 colonies today - all have laying queens. In one is 1 queen, in two are 2 queens ( I have now two extra queens to play with), in fourth by observing split colony, below is also queen, but didn't started to lay - any day soon will ( didn't manage actually to see her). I will check and sort the rest when I have more time, will write the result.. So far, the result is nice..
 
939
1,672
Croatia
Experience
International
Little update about success with placing 2 qcells separated with qe. I managed today to open only 4 colonies today - all have laying queens. In one is 1 queen, in two are 2 queens ( I have now two extra queens to play with), in fourth by observing split colony, below is also queen, but didn't started to lay - any day soon will ( didn't manage actually to see her). I will check and sort the rest when I have more time, will write the result.. So far, the result is nice..
I have bigger sample now, still not finished, but here are some results:
23 colonies with system 1+1, of that number following:
0 queens - 4 colonies ( one was with Q which had some failure and not laying, I removed her)
1 queen - 11 colonies ( of which 2 had 2 queens but second queen in these colonies weren't laying and I removed them)
2 queens - 8 colonies
So overall I have more queens than colonies I use ( 27Q), extra queens to play. Also interesting to me in practice shown when adding only 1 qc per colony how hazardous it is.. So far seems this way will be my future way ( if I am not lazy :sneaky:).
 
939
1,672
Croatia
Experience
International
Update - only 3 colonies left to check, the rest: 28 colonies with 1+1, I got 30 queens with sealed WB. In 5 colonies were total failure ( missing both or DLQ or not laying for long), which I compensate from surplus of queens with double success..
This is for me good, after the extractions I can use such Q replacement with less worry. Also it is possible to do it with leaving old Q down and only adding qcell above. So if upper qcell failed You still have queen which didn't stop laying.. This is maybe even better..
Possibilities for playing are many..
 
  • Like
Reactions: Alastair
715
563
Christchurch
Experience
Semi Commercial
Also it is possible to do it with leaving old Q down and only adding qcell above. So if upper qcell failed You still have queen which didn't stop laying..
Nice work Goran. Have you tried this leaving the old Q in with success? I think it is less likely to work as well as your main experiment did, as the old Qs pheromones will still be in the hive. But! A double screen board would solve that issue and you only need a couple of frames (one brood, one food) above a D/screen to produce a Q.
 
939
1,672
Croatia
Experience
International
Nice work Goran. Have you tried this leaving the old Q in with success? I think it is less likely to work as well as your main experiment did, as the old Qs pheromones will still be in the hive. But! A double screen board would solve that issue and you only need a couple of frames (one brood, one food) above a D/screen to produce a Q.
Since I am using qe with entrance from beginning of my beekeeping in practice I know it works. The reason - every season when I lift brood above qe and when I miss some egg and they raise new queen above, or when I am certain that no eggs are possible above occur new queen due to some virgin miss the hive and enter in super.. This way I was encouraged to do by my mentor, and I said why not. Now I like it. I can now use all hives to raise queens above - since I don't have too many colonies I can do it.
So setup is qe with entrance moved to back of the hive, lifted 2 bf mainly open and qcell.
 
939
1,672
Croatia
Experience
International
Finished..
The rest of 3 colonies: 2 with 2 queens with sealed wb. Third final is the failure, but sealed wb present in bottom box, varroa struck it hard.. and started robbing - lot of dead bees in front of a hive, presumably queen was gone in the fight. It seems isn't corelated to this system but I count it as a failure.. I am more curious about varroa in this particular colony..
So final counting:
31 colonies used, I got 34 queens.. I think will use this in my practice with different variations.. For my beekeeping is OK.
 


Top