Queen Cell Cages

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Caged Queen Bee Cells. These are queen cells (larval stage queen bees), with each cell in a cage. That is because when they hatch they immediately fight it out until only one is left. So they are hatched into these cages to keep them apart from each other. Straight after this pic was taken they were put back into the hive so that when they hatch the bees will feed and care for them through the gaps. These are important queen bee larvae, produced from eggs taken from one of my best hives. Once they are 7 days old since hatching they will be artificially inseminated from drone (male) bees from some of the other hives that have the desirable characteristics I have selected. The aim is to produce queen bees that will head up hives of bees that are gentle for the beekeeper to work on, plus make lot's of honey.

Attachments

• caged queen cells.jpeg
    caged queen cells.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Dansar and tristan

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
It does just the same job as the curler type cages, both are good. Just, I prefer to use JZBZ cell cups and the curler type cages do not fit those properly. So there is a guy in America who has designed these cages for JZBZ cell cups and sells them so I bought from him.

I am not planning to bank in them long term, just hold for a few days after hatching until it's time to inseminate them.

Reactions: Dansar