Time to ban glyphosate?

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
New Zealand
Experience
International
It's a bit of a kick in the guts eh .
100% pure New Zealnd and our honey is banned from a major ish trading partner .....maybe the Japanese are trying to grow their peasant economy, just like New Zealand Gvt had Manuka as a growth industry projected to generate a billion dollars worth of exports ..... after all Bees are great little earner in an urban environment, and Japan has lotsa that, apparantly.

The kick in the guts is that we here up beyond the Black Stump use very few chemicals. Roundup is banned on the farm. Gorse is mulched ....unless it's too steep when we have to resort to Tordon, but we make sure all the bees are gone before the chopper comes in ...

Which I guess just proves that you can be as Fastidious and Belligerent as you want .....but if yer neighbours neighbour is still in the dark ages, you're F'd.
Our Honey is not banned. Simply has to meet standard. A standard that many producers meet each week and continue to export to Japan as normal?

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Oops sorry ssp .... slip of the finger..... it seems to be wuite hard tp produce a clover honey that meets their criteria....how many drums of ‘clean’ honey would we have to blend to get to an acceptable limit.
I remember a few years ago when antibiotic showrd up in one our clover samples.... and I sought sfvice grom the Head Honcho at our local packers..... his comment was that the detectable limit of .001 parts antibiotic was equivelant to a couple of panadol tablets in the entire nz crop.
We sold the honey to the Poms.... they did’nt complain.

Mummzie

Staff member
Tasman
Experience
Hobbyist
Oops sorry ssp .... slip of the finger..... it seems to be wuite hard tp produce a clover honey that meets their criteria....how many drums of ‘clean’ honey would we have to blend to get to an acceptable limit.
I remember a few years ago when antibiotic showrd up in one our clover samples.... and I sought sfvice grom the Head Honcho at our local packers..... his comment was that the detectable limit of .001 parts antibiotic was equivelant to a couple of panadol tablets in the entire nz crop.
We sold the honey to the Poms.... they did’nt complain.
Slip of the finger? Several slips by the look of this post. Were you trying to write it on a phone while wearing bee gloves?