NZBF: Today i understand robbing

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Christchurch
Experience
Beginner
The next day they were back but the board covering the hive entrance seemed to confuse them. There are continual investigations of the crack in the hive next door but its closed. Any bees in the crack are really flighty if going near the hive.

Not sure what it was. It was unusual.

We processed honey at work last week. Had a lot of bees hovering in front of the kitchen window amd extractor fan vent. Legs down, side to side etc. It looked similar to what I saw at the hive.

Orientation I would expect them to leave on a small flight, return , leave on a bigger flight etc. Most of the bees that day were not going anywhere. I keep watching.

Thanks

frazzledfozzle

Founder Member
Nelson/Tasman District
Experience
Commercial
If you put any obstruction in front of the hive it will confuse the bees robbers or not.
An orientation flight is not a heap of seperate flights where they return to the hive entrance go inside then leave again.
They hover in front of the hive close at first then circle up and around in ever increasing distances.

it seems to me you are pretty set on thinking it’s robbing and as you are Johnny on the spot thats All good.