Varroa treatment for Feb/March

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dave Bee

Gold
Waitakere Township, Auckland
Experience
Beginner
Hello, was just keen to get advice on best ways to treat for varroa prevention/control at this time of the year? I fear I've left it a little too long as the last treatment was in August/September and they we're organic strips using oxalic I believe. Thanks alot.

Solution
welcome to the forum @Dave Bee .
The pink Puss is succinct, but exactly right. And follow the manufacturers label.
Treat now.
In spring- use the other product.

Apart from being a beginner, and I'm guessing you bought a hive or nuc in Sept, you don't give much information about the hive, or your beekeeping. The best option in this case is to treat your hive using a mainstream product, following the recommended doses. When you have a winter or two under your belt- you may look to alternatives.

Spend some time reading the green book by Mark Goodwin & Michelle Taylor- Control of Varroa. I think it may even be in the forum resources.

You may have left it too long, but then again, it might be just the right time to be treating...

Mummzie

Staff member
Tasman
Experience
Hobbyist
The pink Puss is succinct, but exactly right. And follow the manufacturers label.
Treat now.

Apart from being a beginner, and I'm guessing you bought a hive or nuc in Sept, you don't give much information about the hive, or your beekeeping. The best option in this case is to treat your hive using a mainstream product, following the recommended doses. When you have a winter or two under your belt- you may look to alternatives.

Spend some time reading the green book by Mark Goodwin & Michelle Taylor- Control of Varroa. I think it may even be in the forum resources.

You may have left it too long, but then again, it might be just the right time to be treating. Learn how to assess your hive for varroa load and remove any guesswork.

Reactions: Sailabee
Solution

Dave Bee

Gold
Waitakere Township, Auckland
Experience
Beginner
Treat now.

You may have left it too long, but then again, it might be just the right time to be treating. Learn how to assess your hive for varroa load and remove any guesswork.
Thank you very much for this, greatly appreciated.