Wasps

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Anyone else noticed wasps are near zero of an issue this year, at least in the Auckland region?

I'm thinking it may be one good side effect of the massive amount of rain we have had, drowning a lot of the nests.

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
Anyone else noticed wasps are near zero of an issue this year, at least in the Auckland region?

I'm thinking it may be one good side effect of the massive amount of rain we have had, drowning a lot of the nests.
Getting a few residential calls for extermination of nests in Christchurch itself. New job as a pest control tech is putting my old bee suit to good use ;)

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Nice Grant hope it goes well. I used to be our local Councils wasp exterminator, easy as work and very good money, I did as many as 300 nests a year and without that probably would not have paid the mortgage.

Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
It's still too early to tell if there's going to be much of a wasp problem this year but given the amount of flooding we have had I would expect their numbers to be much reduced this year. On the other hand all the rain has created a perfect environment for many insects(Wasp food )so those nests that haven't been flooded may be doing better than we think and may surprise us. I know from bitter experience that wasps can go from zero to zillions In the blink of an eye.

• Agree
Reactions: Alastair

Jhah

BOP Club
kawerau
Experience
Hobbyist
Was asked to deal with suspected bee hive in the wall of a neighbours house a few doors down today and it turned out to be a huge vulgaris nest that was between two floors of the house ,they were entering behind toilet sewage pipe through a gap there.Sprayed heavily with a long lasting crawling insect spray apparently the noise in the house after spraying was LOUD. Drones came out and died the works alot died,made the entrance quite wet with spray and foragers were getting killed trying to go home.I knew there was wasp nest near by so glad I found it.Im pretty sure I killed the nest. Now to find the germanic ones that were attacking my Bees last season as well.Hopefully the germanic ones were underground and have been drowned.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Weird thing, just when I thought I was pretty much wasp free, and if not these floods must surely finish any survivors, At a site today in pouring rain (had to cos it was grafting time rain or shine), and there's wasps bothering the hives.

Never mind, I have vespex in the freezer 😏

Reactions: NatureAlley

Jhah

BOP Club
kawerau
Experience
Hobbyist
Hives getting knocked about today wasps suicidal little blighters killed 20 in about an hour,got fed up went inside sat vespex test paid bought pail paid more not a cheap excersize for someone on minimal funds.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
I haven't see a lot of wasps around but this paper wasp I spotted near my hive looks to have deformed wing.

Very interesting Nadia and certainly looks like deformed wing.

We could hope the wasps will get that virus, some ants do. But if it had it, how would it have got to your hive? I'm wondering if it's wing is damaged cos it had a tussle with your bees. I have seen paper wasp reproductives trying to enter beehives.

Marlborough
Experience
Hobbyist
Very interesting Nadia and certainly looks like deformed wing.

We could hope the wasps will get that virus, some ants do. But if it had it, how would it have got to your hive? I'm wondering if it's wing is damaged cos it had a tussle with your bees. I have seen paper wasp reproductives trying to enter beehives.
It was below a nest I haven’t bothered to remove from the garage guttering. Quite close to the hive though. We don’t usually see them trying to get into the hives. Glad to say no DWV walking bees round the hive.

• Good Info