NZBF: What do you wash your suits with

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
When not washing after work, keep them outside the house like in the cab of your pickup; otherwise, the bee venom on your suit, in the form of micro aerosol particles, will make your family member hypersensitive, if not allergic, to bee sting in the future.

Earthboy
Interesting concept haven't heard of this. If micro aerosol particles are going to float around the house, then they must float around the cab of your pickup. If you don't have the overalls in the house, to prevent this micro aerosol transmission, do you ever have your family in the cab pickup?

My thoughts are, that if I do have bee venom on my suit, the suit goes in the washing machine that day, so I am not attracting bees the next time I wear it, due to pheromones from the day/s prior. Are dust and pollen the micro aerosols you refer to? Once again, if the overalls are dirty, I would be washing them.

Do you have a separate washing machine for your overalls? I would have thought this would be more of a help in preventing hypersensitivity in family members. But then again, I could be wrong.

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
If micro aerosol particles are going to float around the house
not only that they react with other things in your house to make all sorts of other things.
however an easy fix is simply good ventilation, especially constant ventilation.

in a ute that amount of air is small and is quickly pushed out.

Bay of Plenty
Experience
Commercial
not only that they react with other things in your house to make all sorts of other things.
however an easy fix is simply good ventilation, especially constant ventilation.

in a ute that amount of air is small and is quickly pushed out.
One of my son's could never ride in my work ute/trucks, there was always enough venom/whatever in the air that he reacted with all the time.

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
One of my son's could never ride in my work ute/trucks, there was always enough venom/whatever in the air that he reacted with all the time.
i doubt its just in the air. it will be all over the surfaces. its possible its coming out of the seats etc and then into the air which is typically low concentrations (and then ventilation). but far more likely from contact to the seats etc which is in far higher concentrations.

have a look at the story of flame retardants in kids pj's. they where detecting the flame retardant in the kids urine samples.
our bodies soak stuff up.

Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
i doubt its just in the air. it will be all over the surfaces. its possible its coming out of the seats etc and then into the air which is typically low concentrations (and then ventilation). but far more likely from contact to the seats etc which is in far higher concentrations.

have a look at the story of flame retardants in kids pj's. they where detecting the flame retardant in the kids urine samples.
our bodies soak stuff up.
Scary scary stuff. Then there's all the polar fleece that's worn, so I guess our bodies are soaking that up as well. We prob need flame retardant in our urine, cos all the other stuff is so flammable!

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
Scary scary stuff. Then there's all the polar fleece that's worn, so I guess our bodies are soaking that up as well. We prob need flame retardant in our urine, cos all the other stuff is so flammable!
the flame retardant thing is still ongoing.
its also a good example of product substitution. they remove the old bad one and use a new one that they have done no testing on.
all for a law that has no real practical benefit.

same situation with the craze on "low VOC" products at the moment. swap high VOC for sVOC which puts out small amounts of VOC's for a long time. so instead of the high VOC which dissipate very quickly, we now soak up small amounts of low VOC constantly. all because "low VOC" is "green".