A large operation ?

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Nice to see them scraping clean the frames and the boxes, which is how it was done when I worked in an extracting room. Unfortunately the people who do my extracting now just bang them through, no effort to scrape anything.

Actually it depends on who is in the extracting room, there was one or two conscientous guys who did take the trouble.

StephenB

Banned
New Zealand
Experience
Commercial
Nice to see them scraping clean the frames and the boxes, which is how it was done when I worked in an extracting room. Unfortunately the people who do my extracting now just bang them through, no effort to scrape anything.

Actually it depends on who is in the extracting room, there was one or two conscientous guys who did take the trouble.
also some beekeepers complain if you scrap their wax off

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
I was interested to watch the hot knife uncappers.
We run a Penrose uncapper with the similar hot knives ..... and am always frustrated that the knives leave an 8mm strip just below the top bar which needs a manual scrape.
Some sort of tweeking needed in the set up .....?

Reactions: BRS

yesbut

Staff member
Nelson
Experience
Hobbyist
To reiterate my original question, is this plant typical of bigger NZ operations, or is it bigger, smaller ....?????

Reactions: Grant

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
We are all smaller beekeepers so perhaps don't know how big the corporates are. But I have never seen anything that big.

Bear in mind that with the non thixotrophic honey they are dealing with they can use radial honey extractors , but here with the emphasis on manuka we mostly use tangential extractors which slows the process a lot.

• Thanks
Reactions: yesbut
maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
How many extraction plants in NZ are this size ?

my understanding there is a couple. there is someone with bigger extractor but i think its single line. i know there is some dual line setups but not sure what extractor they use.
but going from the vid i think that plant is a little inefficient. i would have expected more from a dual line with those size extractor and cycle times.

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
I was interested to watch the hot knife uncappers.
We run a Penrose uncapper with the similar hot knives ..... and am always frustrated that the knives leave an 8mm strip just below the top bar which needs a manual scrape.
Some sort of tweeking needed in the set up .....?
yes. its been a long time since we ran uncappers but i think top end was ok, the problem was usually the sides where it left a strip on each side.