AFB detector dogs

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Lower North Island
Experience
Commercial
Was interested in information being shared as have a bitch whose pups could prove ideal for training. So my question currently is what breeds used and is there anyone in New Zealand who has done or is doing this?

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
We currently have three pups under evaluation . They are Lab/German short haired pointer. The Bitch is aLab, and dad came from the airport where work was a bit slack.
Any dog will do. Most of ours have been problem rescue dogs with a high play drive that no one has the patience for.

Lower North Island
Experience
Commercial
We currently have three pups under evaluation . They are Lab/German short haired pointer. The Bitch is aLab, and dad came from the airport where work was a bit slack.
Any dog will do. Most of ours have been problem rescue dogs with a high play drive that no one has the patience for.
My dog is 4 years old half German Pointer, used to bees and shares a yard with some livestock. Probably getting to old to train but was a rescue at 9 weeks from the breeder when first home didn't pan out.
Have a growing fondness for German Pointer crosses as very bright and this one shows a tendency to point.
Was thinking of sending her out with my brother when he goes hunting goats with a crossbow. Those arrows are expensive but she's valuable in her own goofball way. Would need some type of muzzle though in case of kiwi.
They use G.P crosses for Kiwi conservation work don't they?
She's turned out to be an nice dog all told.

Reactions: James
Lower North Island
Experience
Commercial
Is work slack at the airport currently... Asking for a friend ☺️

• Haha
Reactions: Grant
canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Had the dog team back this week.
Tara and Chief have been doing cellphones and dope, but came home this week to refresh on bees after we got a spate of AFB txts from the agency.
Here we are sniffing honey in the hot room...
This honey came off a burner we brought home from the coast....
I only found one cell.... the dog did’nt show interest in the boxes.... be intersting to see what Hills say.

Attachments

• 5C03A912-8FC5-453D-BA43-86B7B93F5CF0.jpeg
    5C03A912-8FC5-453D-BA43-86B7B93F5CF0.jpeg
    597 KB · Views: 21

StephenB

Banned
New Zealand
Experience
Commercial
Now thats an intersting thought. If you have a negitive test for AFB in honey thats come of a hive that AFB has been found do you have to destroy it. After all the new DNA test is being pushed as the bee knees in detecting AFB

Lower North Island
Experience
Commercial
She has now been trained to alert for rodents. The cats are miffed as she's been catching and eating them too.
The DOC officer reckoned the possum would be unlikely to return for a bit as ran foul of the dog and a week or so later a newly hived swarm with brood. Attempts to tree itself it in the Camelia had the branch break and fall back in front of the hive.
I've had to feed the cats much more lately ☺️

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Almost any breed of dog has the potential to become a Detector Dog . The important criteria is that it has what is called 'Play Drive' .
Playdrive is what makes a dog want to chase a target for a reward ..... all day long ..... with so much passion that evrything else becomes secondary.
In training the tennis ball is the toy and the target ..... the item of interest ......and it becomes the reward for the dogs persistence to play.

So, if your Foxy wants to play all day and drives you crazy, then it may well have potential.
Bear in mind that for every successfull dog that Richelle's tests, only one in a hundred make it through to boot camp, and then that is not a given that they will make the grade.

The dog that makes the grade is pretty special.

The dog in the photo is pretty special.
He thinks he can drive my truck, smack a hammer and is partial to cheese sandwiches ..... but he has zero potential as a working Detector Dog.
I knew that from day one .

Attachments

• 64FF6542-2C4C-4866-868C-EC1089A824B4.jpeg
    64FF6542-2C4C-4866-868C-EC1089A824B4.jpeg
    528.4 KB · Views: 8
Lower North Island
Experience
Commercial
Well it looks like I'm in the right thread. My girl has just had her trip to meet the lovely vet nurses with treats. We're booked for a second visit in the New Year before a full vet check. Was interesting watching the Marsupial detector dog working on the Dama wallaby issue on One News tonight. Mine is marsupial sensitive as well as rodent. Nutted off last night by the fruit trees with a particular bark. Funny story about that possum's visits. DOC Ranger laughed when I told her and reckoned it wouldn't be back. I was looking for a trap that was cat-safe which I saw they have now, made for urban areas. Possum are moving to town it seems. Our local one with black pelt may have needed reminding of previous attempts but have ripening early plum. Will post photos and tell the story at some point. (Will need to buy the privilege).