AFB levy rates for next year

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Morporks

Banned
New Zealand
Experience
Commercial
Has anybody looked at the consultation document for the levy for the coming year.

Its got me a bit confused..

First heading claims no increase this year

Further down, the document goes onto say What you levy increase will be doing or word to that effect

Any comments ?

Trevor Gillbanks

Founder Member
Palmerston North
Experience
Hobbyist
Has anybody looked at the consultation document for the levy for the coming year.

Its got me a bit confused..

First heading claims no increase this year

Further down, the document goes onto say What you levy increase will be doing or word to that effect

Any comments ?
Yes. But if you have a look at the bottom line on page 3, the overall budget goes down about $200,000.
There are some increases and some decreased items, and it is the budget, not the actual levy.
I think that is what it says.

tommy dave

Gold
BOP Club
mostly wellington, sometimes dunedin
Experience
Hobbyist

Any comments ?
My guess, someone took content from a previous year when the levy did increase, and then failed to update the heading. Remove the word "increased" and it makes more sense. Nothing a proof read shouldn't have caught, but errors slip through sometimes, it happens

Reactions: Trevor Gillbanks

StephenB

Banned
New Zealand
Experience
Commercial
So now we have all looked at the bad proof reading telling us where our increase in levys are going but with an overall budget reduction what do people think?
Seems there is a reduction in hive numbers, but more people are needed to manage the increased work load of less hives. If Oha results represent the industry state I would think hive numbers would be dropping further.

One has to wonder

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
So .... I'm gonna eat a little bit of humble pie tonight.
Reading the Beekeeper mag and the maps of AFB hotspots, I see that Canterbury is at the forefront, which I kinda find surprising , but also interesting to read of the half dozen or so DECA holders that have defaulted or been overrun by disease.
A few weeks ago I posted o about abandoned hives not far from our cell raisers.
Tonight I got an email informing me that the local AP2 has been instructed to check it out

.Good work guys

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Yes the map was interesting, good to see that a few places that were hotspots have now faded, and Auckland seems to have dimmed a bit although there is still AFB here. What made some scary reading was the Operations Managers Report, it is clear there are still some beekeepers just not managing AFB. I think those people probably puddle along OK with no problems, until they get AFB and then with it not being checked for or proper systems in place it goes rampant in their operation which probably takes several years.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
What is also somewhat surprising is that with all the attention that has been put into the mid Canterbury area there is still a problem