AFB Sample testing by AFBPMP

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Katikati
Experience
Commercial
Yesterday an AP2 Auditor called in to take samples of the last two honey batches we produced this last season. The day before the Auditor called me if it was suitable he would call in to take the samples and at the same time I offered AFB test results for all our batches produced this season. We test for AFB as China has the requirement for this. Last year I also emailed AFB test result to the AFBPMP, although never heard anything back. The Auditor wasn't interested in it because some possible "privacy issues or whatever". So he was instructed to take the samples. Has anybody else experienced this, as I feel here is an inefficiency. Why test twice the same sample for the same thing. Is there something I am missing; is the AFB test we are required to do for China entrance of honey product saying less about the presence of AFB in the sample or what???

Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
My guess is that they are trying to identify the few rotten eggs in the system that lie and cheat at every opportunity . I personally would have thought your test results should have been sufficient but if I was running the PMP I wouldn't trust anybody completely.
The good news is they are primarily targeting people with very low or no reported AFB and most of them will be vindicated like am sure you will be. Those that are trying to cheat the system will finally get dealt with and about time to.

Trevor Gillbanks

Founder Member
Palmerston North
Experience
Hobbyist
Yesterday an AP2 Auditor called in to take samples of the last two honey batches we produced this last season. The day before the Auditor called me if it was suitable he would call in to take the samples and at the same time I offered AFB test results for all our batches produced this season. We test for AFB as China has the requirement for this. Last year I also emailed AFB test result to the AFBPMP, although never heard anything back. The Auditor wasn't interested in it because some possible "privacy issues or whatever". So he was instructed to take the samples. Has anybody else experienced this, as I feel here is an inefficiency. Why test twice the same sample for the same thing. Is there something I am missing; is the AFB test we are required to do for China entrance of honey product saying less about the presence of AFB in the sample or what???

I wonder where they get the authority to remove your RMP retention samples. I am not sure what other samples you would have other than your retention samples.
You are require to retain them as per you RMP certificate.
If the retention samples have been opened / removed (from your care) or interfered with in any way, then you RMP would be null-in-void.

Katikati
Experience
Commercial
I wonder where they get the authority to remove your RMP retention samples. I am not sure what other samples you would have other than your retention samples.
You are require to retain them as per you RMP certificate.
If the retention samples have been opened / removed (from your care) or interfered with in any way, then you RMP would be null-in-void.

Maybe some clarification, I keep my samples, only a small quantity was taken from my sample jars.

Reactions: Bee Real
Katikati
Experience
Commercial
My guess is that they are trying to identify the few rotten eggs in the system that lie and cheat at every opportunity . I personally would have thought your test results should have been sufficient but if I was running the PMP I wouldn't trust anybody completely.
The good news is they are primarily targeting people with very low or no reported AFB and most of them will be vindicated like am sure you will be. Those that are trying to cheat the system will finally get dealt with and about time to.

I think it is pretty obvious when you present test results from well known labs with the right batch numbers etc. With China such an important market, much of the honey will get tested for AFB anyway. Takes little effort to forward these test results.

Canterbury
Experience
Hobbyist
That is OK.
I know in my region they have asked for our retention samples.
They have been given a very firm "No". Not without written authority from MPI.
Do you really believe this Trevor? Why would they treat your region differently.....?
It doesn't make sense, the entire country is on the same boat.
Whoever told you so may be a conspiracy theorist. I would be calling Dwayne for clarification.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
There are 2 ways to draw on a map where the AFB hotspots are.

1. By AFB burns people report

2. By testing honey from various areas.

However we do know that not all AFB burns get reported. Therefore it was decided to test some honey from various areas to be able to see how that looks on a map.

If AP2's can be checking hives in the most needed areas, it is more efficient and will save money.

Nobody need fear this endevour.

However for now, because of the lockdown, the project has been put on hold. Hive inspections will continue because that can be done with little to no people contact.

• Agree
Reactions: Gerrit
Katikati
Experience
Commercial
Maybe I wasn't quite clear about what I meant. The issue I had is why test twice for the same thing. I have no worries with forwarding test results to the AFBPMP. And I have no worries at all with AP2's checking my hives or testing my honey. All I thought is that it be more of value that we forward our test results for AFB, if available.

Trevor Gillbanks

Founder Member
Palmerston North
Experience
Hobbyist
As with COVID, keep calm and carry on . . .they only want a sample Trevor. No-one is being asked to contravene their RMP.
Sure, I understand that. But RMP clear states that retention sample are to remain untouched.
I am not trying to be a stirrer.

Maybe I wasn't quite clear about what I meant. The issue I had is why test twice for the same thing. I have no worries with forwarding test results to the AFBPMP. And I have no worries at all with AP2's checking my hives or testing my honey. All I thought is that it be more of value that we forward our test results for AFB, if available.

As @Gerrit has said. why not just ask for lab results which I am sure everyone would be happy to supply, and at no cost to the Agency.