Historic: AFB, the never-ending thread...

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

NickWallingford

BOP Club
Tauranga
Experience
Retired
As to what is being done in this direction by the Home beekeepers, we do not know, but we cannot but endorse the policy that Mr Hopkins suggests, and that is simply to wage the battle against foulbrood with all the energy we can to make it, in fact, a fight to a finish. The cleaning up of foulbrood so far as New Zealand is concerned may be a very difficult matter; but we are persuaded that it can be done. Indeed, we are perfectly satisfied that our industry can never reach its proper dimensions until it is done. The discouragement consequent on the ravages of this disease will always thin down the ranks of the beekeepers, and if it is further going to hamper us in our export arrangements, it will, of course, be all the more necessary to fight it.

May 1912

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Hmmm.... as i picked up a burner tonite it occured to me that this is a disease we just have to live with .
Managed control
There are too many dip sticks out there throwing curved balls....
Bit like the dippy aussie tradies complaining about not feeding their familes because the work sites have been closed down due to covid non vaxxers
GO VISIt MR PRICKY.

Gisborne Tairawhiti
Experience
Researcher
Hmmm.... as i picked up a burner tonite it occured to me that this is a disease we just have to live with .
Managed control
There are too many dip sticks out there throwing curved balls....
Bit like the dippy aussie tradies complaining about not feeding their familes because the work sites have been closed down due to covid non vaxxers
GO VISIt MR PRICKY.
I really have to ask - the 'disease to live with'? is that AFB . . .or COVID ? Because plenty of dipsticks throwing curved balls (or big balls in the case of COVID!) for both I guess. Comes down to the people involved - do you want to eradicate the clinical signs of it? Or live with it and keep burning/quarantining

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Aye for sure Paddy , I’d love to eradicate it.
It would take a lot of stress out of my life.
But the reality.....?
I had a look at a pollination site tonight right in the middle of AFB notifications.
We’ll put the bees in because I put a new set of tyres on the Cruiser at a cost of $1600.
I’ll gaura tee we’ll have issues in a couple of months.
We need our neighbours to play the game as well.
And like Covid, not everyone wants to , or is capable to play the game.