AFB vaccine

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
And to clarify: the USA vaccine is not meant to be used in AFB infected hives, that would not make sense at all. It has been developed with the intention to reduce the chance for a healthy colony to develop AFB, by 'immunising' the queen when everything is still hunky dory..
They wouldn't know whether or not they have AFB in a colony, cos they use antibiotics

Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
Years ago, yes.

Not now.
My understanding, and I could be incorrect, is that the only registered treatment in the US for nosema is Fumagilin. It is no longer available commercially since mid 2018. However it would appear vast quantities were sold prior for stockpiling.

It looks like the Canadians were still using Fumagilin in 2021

This Canadian paper from 2022 covers oxytetracyclines for use with AFB and EFB.

Vast numbers of hives are sent from Canada down to California for almond pollination.

Have these drugs been banned since 2022?

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
My understanding, and I could be incorrect, is that the only registered treatment in the US for nosema is Fumagilin. It is no longer available commercially since mid 2018. However it would appear vast quantities were sold prior for stockpiling.

Yes, you are incorrect.

Fumagilin was banned in the US 5 years ago. There were rumors at the time that some beekeepers might stockpile it, none proven. But even if some did, the shelf life is 3 years. So do the math.

Vast numbers of hives are sent from Canada down to California for almond pollination.

Sheesh, who told you that one?

Lower North Island
Experience
Commercial
Yes, you are incorrect.

Fumagilin was banned in the US 5 years ago. There were rumors at the time that some beekeepers might stockpile it, none proven. But even if some did, the shelf life is 3 years. So do the math.

Sheesh, who told you that one?
A pilot? They are an accurate source of information so I'm told. Plus they help bees across borders

Lower North Island
Experience
Commercial
Looks like they're strongly discouraging antibiotic use but it is still available under Veterinarian License as a feed supplement and I've attached a screenshot of the current form. Did crop it so current person listed isn't fielding calls in perpetuity.
Beeks are a persistent lot ☺️

Attachments

• IMG_20230331_174025.jpg
    IMG_20230331_174025.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 6

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
There has been some grumbling on Beesource over the last several years from US beekeepers who tried to get a vet to let them have some and are consistently turned down.

Seems they need a valid reason, and just wanting to continue the banned practices of the past is not one.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
In any case, the use of a banned nosema drug to illegally treat AFB in the US is not a widespread practice and in all likelihood is not happening at all.

Secondly, vast numbers of drug fed AFB infested beehives from Canada are not being shipped to the US to pollinate almonds.

And, what laws and practices that apply in Canada do not necessarily apply in the US. Far as supposed drugged bees go, they don't.

But mostly, it's all moot anyway in relation to the use of an AFB vaccine in New Zealand. What some people claim Americans might or might or might not be doing, or what Canadians might or might not be doing, is just a red herring far as our own use of an AFB vaccine goes, here in New Zealand.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
How the vaccine works.

Please be aware this is an American video so some legalities are different in NZ