Amazon AU shipping to NZ, including honey?

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Bron

Staff member
Gisborne
Experience
Commercial
Soooooo! Saw the news tonight & Amazon Au is going to ship to NZ. Including honey. Sooooo! How does that work

“Customers will also be able to shop from homegrown small New Zealand businesses such as Serious Food Co, The Herb Farm and Bella Honey, which use the Amazon.com.au platform to sell across the ditch.”

from NZ Herald

kaihoka

Gold
whanganui inlet
Experience
Hobbyist
Soooooo! Saw the news tonight & Amazon Au is going to ship to NZ. Including honey. Sooooo! How does that work

“Customers will also be able to shop from homegrown small New Zealand businesses such as Serious Food Co, The Herb Farm and Bella Honey, which use the Amazon.com.au platform to sell across the ditch.”

from NZ Herald
Will amazon have a "can not ship to NZ " notice next to honey sales .
In case someone in NZ tries to buy some from aus .

Bron

Staff member
Gisborne
Experience
Commercial
I can have this shipped to my address!

Attachments

• 919FD6E5-754F-4814-B11F-E93B80A2485F.png
    919FD6E5-754F-4814-B11F-E93B80A2485F.png
    342.3 KB · Views: 39

yesbut

Staff member
Nelson
Experience
Hobbyist
No you cannot, under our biosecurity laws honey from another country is not allowed.
Bron's point is that Amazon's current system physically allows the sale & import.....we all know it's wrong, except Amazon who I expect will soon find out.

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Yes....but .....did you not think ....you might be able to buy it cheap off amazon and onsell for a profit without even touching it .

frazzledfozzle

Founder Member
Nelson/Tasman District
Experience
Commercial
I’m interested that they are using “UMF” as a measurement of the activity.

I thought you had to be a registered member to belong to the UMF club and surely they wouldn’t allow the crap that is Aussie faux manuka to be able to use their trademark ?

great barrier island
Experience
Semi Commercial

I thought you had to be a registered member to belong to the UMF club and surely they wouldn’t allow the crap that is Aussie faux manuka to be able to use their trademark ?
check out the umf website @frazzledfozzle, they’ll sell memberships to anyone. there’s even a usa manuka umf member.

Attachments

• 94164D31-5115-49E8-90E7-0C88597A7C35.png
    94164D31-5115-49E8-90E7-0C88597A7C35.png
    222.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Wow
Reactions: frazzledfozzle
Bay of Plenty
Experience
Commercial

I would suggest this is a two finger salute from the aussies. Not a member of UMF myself, unsure what they could do about it as I don't know how far their jurisdiction goes over trademarks.

Bron

Staff member
Gisborne
Experience
Commercial
Sooooooo…. It still says on Amazon that it’s eligible to ship to NZ… come on folks wheres MPI…

Attachments

• 9EED4EBB-8996-487F-A5DE-CFE323DFD1C5.png
    9EED4EBB-8996-487F-A5DE-CFE323DFD1C5.png
    323.4 KB · Views: 12
Canterbury
Experience
Hobbyist
We all need to be aware that if anyone buys overseas honey. It is going to be the buyer the most likely person to be prosecuted by MPI, not the seller.
It is forbidden to import honey and the buyer by completing the online purchase you would be showing intention to import a good forbidden to be imported by biosecurity law.
Arguing you didn't know it was forbidden or that you were just testing the system to see if the honey was going to be stopped at the border won't help you.....

It remains me the case of a journalist who, few years ago, purchased a firearm without a firearm licence to prove it could be done. He just wanted to make a point so after he published his article he handled the firearm to police. Next thing he ended up being prosecuted by Police for what he did.

Dave Black

Gold
BOP Club
Bay of Plenty
Experience
Retired
It remains me the case of a journalist who, few years ago, purchased a firearm without a firearm licence to prove it could be done. He just wanted to make a point so after he published his article he handled the firearm to police. Next thing he ended up being prosecuted by Police for what he did.
Umm, nearly. It was a woman (Heather du Plessis-Allan), the police investigated, didn't prosecute and dropped the charges.

• Haha
Reactions: Bee Real and Grant