JAmuses: An autumnal muze.

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Blog prefix for James
The midday day sun strikes the verandah, chasing the frost to the shadows and catching the glint of silver spiders webs hanging from the rafters.
The late summer colours paint the valley golden red , and the txt comes through on the phone ..... 'we working tomorrow Boss ...... fishings looking good ....'

We is almost done on the bees for the year, just a bit of Honey Dew to pull and pump into a drum ..... God's own nectar for a guy I know who puts down a brew of mead to make us Invincible in war and Irresistable in love.....
And as the world grapples with Covid and bubbles and supply chain woes my soul is filled with peace.

We have a contract for the contents of my honey shed's three years of production.
And let me tell you that is a nice feeling.

After the last three and a half years of robbing Peter to pay Paul, only to get hammerd again by Saul ..... days when I never thought I'd see the light at the end of that long dark tunnel , somehow we survived. Popped out at the other end with the ability to look into the eye of those who caried us and say thanks.
Thanks for your faith, not just in us, but in an industry.

We lived the days day by day, focussed on the belief of the light, and trudged dogggedly forwards.
Hope and belief in our skills moved us forward.

And the answer to the Txt ....

'Fishing's looking better next month'

frazzledfozzle

Founder Member
Nelson/Tasman District
Experience
Commercial
So pleased you have sold all your honey @James .
can I ask was it sold to someone you have been talking with for a while or was it out of the blue?

just trying to get an idea if the packers are starting to look around again or if someone couldn’t stand the pressure of the weekly phone calls anymore !

Taupo
Experience
Hobbyist
Congrats @James, had a beer tonight with a mate round the road, he was tying down a truck load of wool.. $1.20 kg... shearing cost $3.25 a head.. the lambs yielded 1kg.. hmmm
They won't pay much tax on that! I hope they can hang in there, wool will make a comeback sometime, when we all wake up and realise it is much better than the plastic fibres we are using. The small amount of wool that I have, is going into mulch around my young trees, not worth selling. Luckily I can do my own shearing.

Christchurch
Experience
Beginner
They won't pay much tax on that! I hope they can hang in there, wool will make a comeback sometime, when we all wake up and realise it is much better than the plastic fibres we are using. The small amount of wool that I have, is going into mulch around my young trees, not worth selling. Luckily I can do my own shearing.
The dags are good for worm farms too

Taupo
Experience
Hobbyist
The dags are good for worm farms too
Luckily or unluckily in that case, my ewes are usually dag-free. Jeez, that reminded me, Dags were worth about 50c per kilo in the 80's, and now they are only getting $1kg for clean wool. Criminal.

Christchurch
Experience
Beginner
Luckily or unluckily in that case, my ewes are usually dag-free. Jeez, that reminded me, Dags were worth about 50c per kilo in the 80's, and now they are only getting $1kg for clean wool. Criminal.
In the shed even the scrap pulled off good fleece before baling used to be packed. Not now.

• Agree
Reactions: Gordie

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Back when I was a lad, there was pocket money to be had by walking around collecting bits of wool from barbed wire fences. Yes, even that was a saleable commodity.

Although the time / reward ratio was considerably better collecting bottles from the "lovers lane" near Virginia Lake in Whanganui 😄

• Agree
Reactions: kaihoka and Gordie