Ancient Honey Tin

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
This is a super old honey tin my beekeeper buddy has procured.

Note no nutrition information, no batch number, no nothing, just "Pure New Zealand Honey, 10 lbs net. ".

Anybody could date this or know who sold it?

Attachments

• 20211216_165310.jpg
    20211216_165310.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: Josh

NickWallingford

BOP Club
Tauranga
Experience
Retired
Well, the 10 pound Imperial weighting indicates middle-1970s or earlier.

The design is a generic one. That is, these tins were produced in massive quantities and then either overprinted with the beekeeper's details, or a sticky label attached to it. So unless that remains, you won't know who sold it.

There were previous versions of this tin, very similar (colouring, overall pattern, etc) but quite apparently older when you see them.

I gave away a similar tin some time ago along with some other honey pottles, etc. Anyone with any interest in honey tins should for sure visit Geoff Earnest's museum outside of Tirau - absolutely worth a few hours of looking around!

NickWallingford

BOP Club
Tauranga
Experience
Retired
I do think they used this container, but more of the HMA's honey was either sold as Imperial Bee (a really old label that was used for many, many years) or using the Holland's Honey label - greenish container, Dutch woman on it, I think. It was the late 1960s when the HMA bought out Dick Holland (packer at Pleasant Point) and David Penrose's packing plant at Hornby. I think they bought the two to get the existing contracts for supply, as the HMA didn't have enough honey to keep its own Parnell honey plant working. Ultimately, buying those two packers put the HMA into a position where it was seen to be competing more with the local sales than working to export. The HMA was dismantled about 1980...

• Good Info
Reactions: Josh and Alastair
Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
Back in the day pretty much everyone extracted their own honey and sold at least some of it through gate sales. The regulations were a lot easier in those days. Unless you packed a lot of honey people tended to just use generic tins and sometimes pottles. At the time these tins were around we used to just use glue on labels and we also had to attach seals Levie stamps which came in sheets like postage stamps. If somebody wanted to post a five pound tin of honey overseas we would even solder the lid on in three spots with good old-fashioned lead solder.

• Good Info

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
If somebody wanted to post a five pound tin of honey overseas we would even solder the lid on in three spots with good old-fashioned lead solder.

I can remember doing that :)

They were just plain tins, no markings at all

Bay of Plenty
Experience
Commercial
Back in the day pretty much everyone extracted their own honey and sold at least some of it through gate sales. The regulations were a lot easier in those days. Unless you packed a lot of honey people tended to just use generic tins and sometimes pottles. At the time these tins were around we used to just use glue on labels and we also had to attach seals Levie stamps which came in sheets like postage stamps. If somebody wanted to post a five pound tin of honey overseas we would even solder the lid on in three spots with good old-fashioned lead solder.
Nick you need to write a book about the history of beekeeping in NZ, with those sort of sideline stories etc mixed in.

• Agree

Trevor Gillbanks

Founder Member
Palmerston North
Experience
Hobbyist
I believe. And have heard on the radio that they used to sell honey in one pound blocks wrapped in greased paper like butter. The honey was of course crystallized and then cut.
That should be a pretty good system to keep the ants out of it. What a mess you would have in the summer months. I wonder why it went out of fashion?? lol