Ants???

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Te Horo
Experience
Hobbyist
I have heard somewhere that cornmeal is good for getting rid of ants in the hive. Is this just the standard cornmeal flour from the supermarket?
I hope so because I have found some lovely Gluten Free cornmeal flour at New World, so they go in a healthy way 😀

Mummzie

Staff member
Tasman
Experience
Hobbyist
what is different between Gluten Free cornmeal, and cornmeal?

And yes, fresh green grass on the crown board clears ants from there.
Are your ants in the hive on the comb or on top of the crown board @NZDan ?

Reactions: NZDan
Te Horo
Experience
Hobbyist
what is different between Gluten Free cornmeal, and cornmeal?

And yes, fresh green grass on the crown board clears ants from there.
Are your ants in the hive on the comb or on top of the crown board @NZDan ?
Gluten free makes them healthy and happy when I send them to their maker 😀

And thanks for the grass tip, I will give it a go.

Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
Generally speaking ants don't do that much harm. I have tried the green grass and also banana skins with no real success.
Argentine ants are a different story and they can and do kill hives. Poisoning them or creating a physical barrier using grease or water is the only real answer for these creatures.

Reactions: NZDan
Dunedin
Experience
Semi Commercial
Yes ants. You just put a crumb of it on the ant trail, they chop it up and carry it away, day or two later no ants.

Would not recommend using it in a hive, such as under the lid, of course
I'd be pretty careful saying this sort of thing. Vespex was developed very specifically for wasps and you have to take a training course to make sure you know how to use it in the only legal way. Can't remember if you actually had to sign contract for using it but I would not be claiming that I use it off label...

• Agree
Reactions: Mummzie
Dunedin
Experience
Semi Commercial
As for ants, I don't recall ever having seen one in a beehive down here in Dunedin. Never get any inside either. If you spill sugary things in the kitchen you actually have to clean it up yourself.

• Agree
Reactions: southbee

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Fair comment Otto.

Up here there can be plenty of ants in a beehive, primarily under the lid and on top of the hive mat. In bad cases the mat can be black with them.

Or in an area heavily infested with argentine ants they can go right inside the hive in huge numbers and drive away the bees.

The way I discovered vespex is effective on ants is from seeing an ant trail going into the plastic trap you put the vespex in, and they were actually carrying little bits of vespex away. So wow, i thought, let's see what happens next time I'm here. Next time, the hive right next to that tree that had a major ant colony, had none. or more correctly, just some dead ones.