NZBF: Anyone tried cutting down a bioform frame to ¾?

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
Hey,

Quick question.... anyone tried cutting down a bioform frame to make it ¾? I don't want plastic but I'm falling out of love with wood/wax (really easy first time, getting annoying now I'm recycling)

Cheers

Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
I’ve got 5 plastic frames that came with a nuc, and they’re stiff, easy to use and don’t bind up with propolis like my wood do.

But, I’m resistant to using plastic, at least as much as possible

Mummzie

Staff member
Tasman
Experience
Hobbyist
No problems, other than I suck at cleaning, wiring and embedding 😅
you can only get better then. :)
Cleaning = melt out, followed by a quick scrape while still warm.
Wiring = get it done by someone competent at the start, so it doesn't need redoing or at the most a quick re-tension using a staple gun,
Embedding = use thick foundation, a light touch and heavier duty wire.

Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
you can only get better then. :)
Cleaning = melt out, followed by a quick scrape while still warm.
Wiring = get it done by someone competent at the start, so it doesn't need redoing or at the most a quick re-tension using a staple gun,
Embedding = use thick foundation, a light touch and heavier duty wire.
Thick foundation and heavier wire foundation… great tip! I’ve been using medium, which I’m sure a well practiced individual can manage.

Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
Wiring has gone well, and embedding has improved.

BUT for those that are interested, I just easily cut down a FD Bioform frame to ¾ size on my drop saw. Easy, seems just as stiff.

Will chuck it in a hive & see how the bees like it.

Reactions: Mark Lawrence
Bay of Plenty
Experience
Commercial
Hey,

Quick question.... anyone tried cutting down a bioform frame to make it ¾? I don't want plastic but I'm falling out of love with wood/wax (really easy first time, getting annoying now I'm recycling)

Cheers
I'm sure you can, I have cut down full wood and waxed older frames drawn out frames, and plastic frames both without putting a base on the bottom with no trouble so I'm sure you can with bio-frames but I've never used them so ?

Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
Yeah, finally I had my saw set up so had a go.

Cut down well, and with a jig to make the cuts repeatedly, it would be relatively easy

I don’t know what bioform is it didn’t melt/smell like plastic when cut. I’m going to try burning the left over when I get a chance too

Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
Little update.

Girls took to the cut bioform frame straight away. But they are determined to make rogue comb off the bottom edge. Which is kinda annoying.