Apiary Diary August 2021

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

kaihoka

Gold
whanganui inlet
Experience
Hobbyist
I looked in my two hives yesterday.
First hive had lots of uncapped nectar which made me suspicious of what next hive would be like.
But it had fresh uncapped nectar too.
I tried the honey and it tasted like hakea.
This yr I did not move a hive into the hakea because the site had changed ownership.
It is 3 klm away .
Would bees fly that far ?

Dansar

Founder Member
BOP Club
Putaruru
Experience
Commercial
Sneaking out between zoom meetings to mix up syrup.
Afternoon trips out to close apiaries to put varroa treatments in hives and feed.
I’ve been away with work duties for 3 weeks and had topped up hives before I left. Unfortunately a couple didn’t understand me and ate all the treats in one hit. Today there was the last few shaking on the frame as they starved☹️. Meanwhile their sisters next door understood me and were happy to see me, reminded me they were still hungry and stung the tip of my nose as it pressed against the mesh 😣 sneezing fit followed! 🤣
As per everyone else’s comments, drone brood is showing up earlier this year.

And isn’t it nice to get out and about with a clear road ahead of you..

04672776-A404-468B-847A-683CB0A0694B.jpeg C4CD5E7F-BB92-4699-900B-2BDA85B04BDB.jpeg E88DD39D-F756-44DB-8CE7-C1257DFAC306.jpeg

Bron

Staff member
Gisborne
Experience
Commercial
We’ve been out and about a lot! Don’t miss the multiple logging trucks that speed towards you or the empty ones that pass you on any marginally straight bit of road. Pretty happy with the hives in general. There’s always one or two over achievers and one or two that aren’t up to scratch, they’ll get sorted out sooner or later. Some willows coming out and a bit of nectar coming in.
Gotta love these blue sky days, and the ability to be out there doing the job for another year.
Lifting heavy boxes with COVID dead arm yesterday. 1st jab done & dusted.