Apiary Diary March 2022

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
Someone hasn't thought the site levels out very well
yeah a bit of side effect of building bit by bit.
that shed is the 2nd built and the one the pic is taken from is the 4th shed to be built.
there is actually drainage in the corner but that was going full noise and couldn't handle the volume of rain.
thats been the heaviest rain i've ever seen there. thats i would guess more intense than mondays rain. the photo shows the medium rain after the heavy rain.

kaihoka

Gold
whanganui inlet
Experience
Hobbyist
Has all the rain on the east coast been a problem for beeks.
Or is the season over there and hives are set for winter.
We have had endless easterlys and no wind most of this yr.
I feel sad for the people on the east coast , their enviroment is really struggling to cope with the current weather.
Our enviroment is used to that sort of weather and easily adjusts .

southbee

Gold
Southland
Experience
Commercial
Neighbouring farmer just tells me that we had only had 45% of the normal rainfall for the first 3 months of the year. It is very, very dry for Southland, I haven't seen it that dry here ever. It's great for the bees, they're still bringing in some nectar, great for me, I don't have to stress feeding and negotiate the mud we can get, the only problem is not to look too happy when I meet a farmer....

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
101 wintering….. we gave up waiting for the honeydew….
In a ‘normal’ year we might extract 8 or 10 tonne of dew…. This year we got nothing and I bought 3 tonne of sugar to get the ball rolling
Bayvarol has een in for a bit over a month.
We did some alchohol washes yesterday…
Picked up two mites in first wash, zero in the next two.8160AE1B-D2AF-40A8-A9C4-279F56153399.jpeg

Reactions: frazzledfozzle