Apiary Diary May 2022

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
Today was my last day as a full-time commercial beekeeper. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it and also not sure whether I should hang on to a site or two. I will definitely be keeping a few hives at home as I have a lot of experiments I want to do with varoa control. Not the best day to finish on as the highs I was doing today have been severely impacted by varoa. They don't have any varoa now after treatment but a lot of them don't have many bees left either and I had to swap quite a few dyers with stronger hives. My estimated average for the year was 63 kg per hive which isn't too bad these days but certainly not one of my better years. This autumn would be one of the worst I can remember for both lack of honey flow and varoa but at least I got some honey before it all hit the fan.
I have been a full-time commercial beekeeper for 50 years and part time for seven years before that. I have plenty of things lined up to do mostly in conservation but I also had to spend a bit of time over the next few years visiting more beekeepers both in New Zealand and overseas so if anyone is keen for a bit of free advice let me know.

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
Loving your work John, you've been a shining beacon for beekeeping both in your area and nationally. On a personal note I stock your honey in my cupboard and the choice to do so was made purely because of how operate and the manna you give on the forum. My current "jar" (yes I know you've gone eco on the packaging) is Rewarewa and it's my favourite.

southbee

Gold
Southland
Experience
Commercial
Today was my last day as a full-time commercial beekeeper. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it and also not sure whether I should hang on to a site or two. I will definitely be keeping a few hives at home as I have a lot of experiments I want to do with varoa control. Not the best day to finish on as the highs I was doing today have been severely impacted by varoa. They don't have any varoa now after treatment but a lot of them don't have many bees left either and I had to swap quite a few dyers with stronger hives. My estimated average for the year was 63 kg per hive which isn't too bad these days but certainly not one of my better years. This autumn would be one of the worst I can remember for both lack of honey flow and varoa but at least I got some honey before it all hit the fan.
I have been a full-time commercial beekeeper for 50 years and part time for seven years before that. I have plenty of things lined up to do mostly in conservation but I also had to spend a bit of time over the next few years visiting more beekeepers both in New Zealand and overseas so if anyone is keen for a bit of free advice let me know.
If you ever want to venture in the far south you are certainly always welcome at our place and if you bring some advice as well we'll be listening as long as you can talk!! We're having one of the best autumns here I can remember, bees are still bringing in bits and pieces and it's unusual warm. Long may it last!!

Reactions: CHCHPaul
Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
Look forward to catching up for a chat at conference

kaihoka

Gold
whanganui inlet
Experience
Hobbyist
Loving your work John, you've been a shining beacon for beekeeping both in your area and nationally. On a personal note I stock your honey in my cupboard and the choice to do so was made purely because of how operate and the manna you give on the forum. My current "jar" (yes I know you've gone eco on the packaging) is Rewarewa and it's my favourite.
i have never tried rewa rewa honey .
have looked for it in shops but never see it
i shall look on line

Reactions: Grant