Apiary Diary October 2021

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Another cold and wonderfull day.... low cloud, drizzle and cells to go out..... so we canned that and shook some bees and popped the cells into some polys in the shed.

Yup, putting cells out in the rain is one of the most miserable jobs known to man.

However, if the rain was light enough to shake bees, shoulda been light enough to put cells out?

Reactions: CHCHPaul
Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
Another cold and wonderfull day.... low cloud, drizzle and cells to go out..... so we canned that and shook some bees and popped the cells into some polys in the shed. E6F028BE-1C42-4664-ADCE-A6D2252A3B0A.jpeg D12BAA03-A10C-4601-BD07-139E09E0714A.jpeg
I spy with my little eye Cloake nucs - recognise painting! If ya goin run them as minis, have some of the nicely built wooden frames ya can have!

Reactions: BRS

yesbut

Staff member
Nelson
Experience
Hobbyist
Do you bother to clean up the lids as you go or whack them straight back on as is ?

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
I presume that question is about the baby nucs? If so, that is part of the reason I don't use that design, they are messy.

yesbut

Staff member
Nelson
Experience
Hobbyist
No, I was referring to the picture of the box with the staples, but on looking closer I should have said excluder rather than lid

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Oh OK, no I don't clean them every time. Now I have a decent solar wax melter I keep some clean excluders on the truck, and as I find ones that are majorly gummed up I switch out with a cleaned one and the gummed up ones come home and go in the melter.

Prior to the solar melter I cleaned them on site with a blow torch but that was quite a time consuming thing to be doing.

AAA

Waihi
Experience
Commercial
Hi Alastair, may I ask please what your wax melter looks like and is it one you bought new or did you make it?
Thanks.

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
I spy with my little eye Cloake nucs - recognise painting! If ya goin run them as minis, have some of the nicely built wooden frames ya can have!
We don't use these nucs any more ..... I never had much success with them and graduated to polys ..... I should probably fill them up with full depth frames and a queen and sell them as a goung concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.