Apiary sites required with 20+ hives for scientific trial

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
hamilton
Experience
Semi Commercial
My name is Sarah Cross, I work for Plant & Food Research. We are currently running a project involving catching drones while they are on mating flights to see if they carry varroa and if this varroa load corresponds to the varroa rates within neighbouring hives. We are looking for apiary sites with a minimum of 20 hives, that haven't yet had varroa treatment (we need to find varroa to test), and that are preferably in Hamilton or the surrounding areas. Any help would be appreciated. Please email or ring sarah.cross@plantandfood.co.nz 027 637 6289

tommy dave

Gold
BOP Club
mostly wellington, sometimes dunedin
Experience
Hobbyist
My name is Sarah Cross, I work for Plant & Food Research. We are currently running a project involving catching drones while they are on mating flights to see if they carry varroa and if this varroa load corresponds to the varroa rates within neighbouring hives. We are looking for apiary sites with a minimum of 20 hives, that haven't yet had varroa treatment (we need to find varroa to test), and that are preferably in Hamilton or the surrounding areas. Any help would be appreciated. Please email or ring sarah.cross@plantandfood.co.nz 027 637 6289
have you managed to get this shared to the hamilton beekeeping club? there are a few facebook beekeeping pages that are quite active that you could post this too as well - let me know if you want me to copy your post to the one that i administer

Reactions: sarahC
hamilton
Experience
Semi Commercial
have you managed to get this shared to the hamilton beekeeping club? there are a few facebook beekeeping pages that are quite active that you could post this too as well - let me know if you want me to copy your post to the one that i administer
That would be very helpful. I will have a hunt for myself first (just so you dont have to deal with all the noticifcations!) or else are you able to give me the name/s of the pages? Thank you so much

tommy dave

Gold
BOP Club
mostly wellington, sometimes dunedin
Experience
Hobbyist
That would be very helpful. I will have a hunt for myself first (just so you dont have to deal with all the noticifcations!) or else are you able to give me the name/s of the pages? Thank you so much
Sorry for slow response. Your post is pinned as an announcement on the page I run (backyard beekeeping NZ one), there is an equivalent commercial beekeeping one. I'll message you the link via fb

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Great project. I would suggest including information about when you will be doing it. As a commercial myself but unfortunately out of the area you need to work in, first thing crossed my mind when you said no varroa treatment in the hives, was how will this work with my treatment schedule, will it inconvenience me.

hamilton
Experience
Semi Commercial
Great project. I would suggest including information about when you will be doing it. As a commercial myself but unfortunately out of the area you need to work in, first thing crossed my mind when you said no varroa treatment in the hives, was how will this work with my treatment schedule, will it inconvenience me.
We are running the project right now, its actually in its last week. We had major delays due to covid and not being able to travel etc then we had a few sites where we couldnt find the drones!
I was just looking for a few more sites to add to the trial to increase the sample number. We definitely work with beekeepers and fit around their schedule - we wouldnt want people to delay treatments when they were required!
Thank you for your interest

Reactions: Grant and Alastair