APINZ Conference

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
The venue was vast and you certainly couldn't say we were squashed in together. I went down early to take in the science day but got there a little bit late due to fog delays. Managed to catch most of the science anyway although some of it was a bit over my head. Things have obviously moved on since I did Fourth form biology.The science day is truly excellent. The conference itself was just two days which is probably long enough. I really enjoyed the first day attending most of the lectures but skiving out on a couple that were of less interest to me to meet up with old friends. The second day was nowhere near as enjoyable but only because I was coming down with the flu and after taking a rat test (negative) I went back to the hotel early and missed out on the annual dinner because I just wasn't up to it. I got a bronze and a silver in the honey competition which wasn't bad as only put in two entries. It certainly changed from when we started the competition years ago. In those days it was mostly hobbyists with a few people like me putting stuff In just keep the entries up. Nowadays a lot of commercial beekeepers\packers take it very seriously and there are large numbers of entries.
The speakers as usual were first-rate and everything was well organised and ran smoothly as far as I could see. The AGM was well run but as usual there was very little opportunity for individual members to have their say.
There is at least now a general recognition that times are tough although this seems to have largely escaped MPI who were still talking about the huge potential for growth.
My only real disappointment was with MPI . They had asked for questions in writing beforehand and I had given them one . I worded my question quite carefully and they quite carefully failed to answer the question as it was worded.
I think the conference was value for money but part of me yearns for the old days when beekeepers who had no money could hitchhike to get there and stay in a tent.

Bay of Plenty
Experience
Commercial
The venue was vast and you certainly couldn't say we were squashed in together. I went down early to take in the science day but got there a little bit late due to fog delays. Managed to catch most of the science anyway although some of it was a bit over my head. Things have obviously moved on since I did Fourth form biology.The science day is truly excellent. The conference itself was just two days which is probably long enough. I really enjoyed the first day attending most of the lectures but skiving out on a couple that were of less interest to me to meet up with old friends. The second day was nowhere near as enjoyable but only because I was coming down with the flu and after taking a rat test (negative) I went back to the hotel early and missed out on the annual dinner because I just wasn't up to it. I got a bronze and a silver in the honey competition which wasn't bad as only put in two entries. It certainly changed from when we started the competition years ago. In those days it was mostly hobbyists with a few people like me putting stuff In just keep the entries up. Nowadays a lot of commercial beekeepers\packers take it very seriously and there are large numbers of entries.
The speakers as usual were first-rate and everything was well organised and ran smoothly as far as I could see. The AGM was well run but as usual there was very little opportunity for individual members to have their say.
There is at least now a general recognition that times are tough although this seems to have largely escaped MPI who were still talking about the huge potential for growth.
My only real disappointment was with MPI . They had asked for questions in writing beforehand and I had given them one . I worded my question quite carefully and they quite carefully failed to answer the question as it was worded.
I think the conference was value for money but part of me yearns for the old days when beekeepers who had no money could hitchhike to get there and stay in a tent.
John there was opportunity at the end for anybody to have a say, RB was the only person to take-up the advantage and asked and answered a couple of questions, if you don't take up the opportunity to ask that doesn't mean it was not offered. There is always the opportunity for bigger questions ideas etc to be put forward with a 10 person/beekeepers agreeing to it before hand to be sent in and have discussed with a little warning, thats always been available to members.
It would have been bloody cold in a tent.

Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
There was an opportunity for people to put their head over the parapet and make a brief statement but not for debate. That doesn't unduly worry me at the moment because a lot of what the board is doing I agree with and what I don't agree with isn't causing me to lose much sleep. What does worry me is that one day there will be something that causes me and perhaps other members to lose sleep over the direction the board is going and there seems to be no real process for vigourous and open debate including the free flow of information to all members from both sides of a discussion.

Reactions: NickWallingford
Waimauku
Experience
Semi Commercial
This was my first conference and it was well worth going to, even if I too missed the Science Symposium morning due to fog and a cancelled flight. The science presentations and speakers were really interesting. It was nice to meet some of the people on this forum and discuss bees and beekeeping.

Reactions: Bee Real
Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
I know four of my friends who attended conference that are now with Covid19. I wonder how many more got it from this event?
I think you are a stirrer. How do you know they definitely got it from attending

I went to the conference, and I have more than four friends, some of us who are supposedly in the vulnerable group. Nobody I know that attended has Covid. I think it was a really good event, after so many things have been cancelled. I really loved not having to wear a mask!

Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
I was absolutely flawed with some of the answers given. The last question from the floor was someone with an RMP audit who was having issue with variances from different auditors - he failed, then he did as requested, along came another audit for the final report and he failed on something totally different, and of course each time a different auditor rocks up he fails and it costs. The answer from MPI was basically a heap of bureaucratic gobbedly gook which did nothing to resolve the RMP holder's situation; which I am sure many with RMPs can relate to.
The AGM was well run but as usual there was very little opportunity for individual members to have their say.
I agree with this, but there is the opportunity with the review strategy to have a say in this. I can understand why any resolution must have the signatures of ten members, but i am thinking the time has passed and this needs to be reviewed. In some parts of NZ with low populations it could be difficult to get ten signatures, you would have to send your piece of paper all over the place to get ten signatures. It's made even more difficult when you often don't have any idea whether someone is an ApiNZ member. Also, there aren't many meetings at grass roots level (and I know Covid has exacerbated this situation).

Like yourself I don't have an issue with the current board, but there must be the opportunity of processes for good debate and flow of info for all concerned. You just don't know when the situation might change - board members moving on, or lack of meetings at regional level that all members of the organisation can contribute to.

Reactions: John B
Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
There is nothing new about getting a dose of something at conference. I got the flu this time and have caught it several times in the past at these events. Conference is always in the middle of winter and that just the time of year that you catch things. I suppose I should have worn my mask more but I am pretty much over them .

• Agree
Reactions: tristan and Grant

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
I think you are a stirrer. How do you know they definitely got it from attending
2 sentences here, only the 2nd one was needed and it amazes me that as soon as the reins are off you rark-up people again.
But for everyone this is a conference topic not a covid one. I think we've all had enough of that atm

Last edited by a moderator:
Gisborne Tairawhiti
Experience
Researcher
I’m glad people enjoyed the science symposium. Numbers for this have certainly grown and will present challenges in acccomodating it all next year. For those that attended, please look out for a survey to indicate what you liked/didnt't like and where it can be improved. Also, what you thought of the final industry soapbox session for research . .
And yes, a number reports of COVID and flu. Pretty hard to avoid whenever 750 people come together. . . esp when food/coffee prevents 100% masking

• Good Info
Reactions: Dansar and Bee Real