Aussie Beekeepers Fight for Manuka

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Quote from Maggie James

"My understanding is historically with post colonisation, no matter what the ethnic group in NZ, manuka was manuka.

If Australians reverted to a non indigenious common name such as Ti Tree or Tea Tree for a varietal that was not Leptospernum scoparium, well I guess that's their choice".

Last edited by a moderator:

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
On Country Calendar recently we had a man from France who is a 4th generation Champagne producer, from Champagne. He has now immigrated to New Zealand, has established a vineyard in a climate he believed right for producing grapes of a type needed to produce Champagne.
He has been very successful and believes his sparkling wine is equal to the very best Champagne produced in Champagne. However he does not dispute the wording, he calls it sparkling wine.

Morporks

Banned
New Zealand
Experience
Commercial
On Country Calendar recently we had a man from France who is a 4th generation Champagne producer, from Champagne. He has now immigrated to New Zealand, has established a vineyard in a climate he believed right for producing grapes of a type needed to produce Champagne.
He has been very successful and believes his sparkling wine is equal to the very best Champagne produced in Champagne. However he does not dispute the wording, he calls it sparkling wine.
Champagne is made in Champagne by a process in a factory ie man made

Manuka honey is produced by a plant and bees ( from Europe) and grows most places

• Agree
Reactions: Gerrit

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
From what I read on the legal aspect of it way back in August

Its the term Manuka (as used in the Australian version) verses Maanuka or Mānuka in Te Reo, either way the SMH is a long way behind on this story.

• Agree
Reactions: Alastair

frazzledfozzle

Founder Member
Nelson/Tasman District
Experience
Commercial
As far as I’m aware honey from Leptospermum was always called jellybush honey until NZ’s success in marketing manuka honey .

Australian manuka honey is completely different to NZ’s manuka honey and is actually really gross to taste .
in my opinion there’s very little Australian honey that tastes good.

• Agree
Reactions: kaihoka