Autumn flowering Kamahi

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

southbee

Gold
Southland
Experience
Commercial
Went for a walk yesterday and spotted some Kamahi trees flowering. They had their seeds from the spring flowering, new flowers and buds. From memory I think trees can flower again in autumn if they were stressed because of extreme weather? We had warm temps this autumn but I didn't think it extreme. And forecast is for low temps next week, so the flowers mightn't last long!

on7PNBqAQMOQinIvdXYtJg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Taupo
Experience
Hobbyist
Balmy wet weather here at the moment, mushroom weather! The girls are dragging in what looks like copious amounts of pollen on them and the hive feels nice and heavy.

West Coast
Experience
Hobbyist
Yes bees still active, still bringing in some sort of nectar. Not Rata, could be Spanish heath.I moved them from Otira early March, queens had not shut down completely. They were very heavy with honey. I moved them to my wintering site. I caged one queen with a queen cage and plugged the hole up with wax. I checked after 3 weeks still in cage alive. I went back after 6 weeks and the bees had chewed through the wax to release her. No varroa treatments as the nearest beekeeper is over 8 km away so will keep you ,informed as to the varroa situation

Reactions: kaihoka