BT against wax moth

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Kahutara
Experience
Hobbyist
Hello,

BT (Bacillus Thuringiensis) is being used overseas as a (reportedly) safe and effective way to control wax moth in stored combs. Is it also being used in New Zealand?

The stuff doesn't seem to be sold in beekeeping stores here but BT can be found in organic garden stores e.g. Bacillus Thuringiensis Kurstaki (makes 100L). Although this is the BTk not BTa. Has anyone tried? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
I tried it quite a few years ago, didn't get any wax moths, can't say if it worked or I was lucky.

But most likely it will do the job.

Dave Black

Gold
BOP Club
Bay of Plenty
Experience
Retired
Hello,

BT (Bacillus Thuringiensis) is being used overseas as a (reportedly) safe and effective way to control wax moth in stored combs. Is it also being used in New Zealand?

The stuff doesn't seem to be sold in beekeeping stores here but BT can be found in organic garden stores e.g. Bacillus Thuringiensis Kurstaki (makes 100L). Although this is the BTk not BTa. Has anyone tried? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
The product you have heard of is probably Certan, from Vita Bee Health. The BT strain is aizawai. I have used in in Britain where is commonly available, but is not registered for use with the ACVM Register in New Zealand.
BT strains are very specific, and misuse can kill bees and isn't good in the human food chain so you need to know what you are doing if you are going to 'experiment'.
Safety data sheets etc can be found on the manufacturer's website