Can't find carnies😬😂

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Alexandra
Experience
Hobbyist
I got them from Honeystar new zealand a couple of years ago. For when I was in Timaru. I am now in Central as well. Mine are now hybrids. More tiger queen than black. My stroppiest hive is from a locally bred italian.
Yeah I'm having real trouble finding any, and the stroppiest hive I had a run in with as an apprentice in the mid eighty's was Italian pure bred😅 and queenless. Counted 200 stings to the gloves, that was something else. I've only got one colony and a split I just took for the guy whose land I have my bee's on because he lost two this winter and only wants two so I really want to diversify the genetics in that apairy and another one I have that's waiting for bee's. If you're interested in selling a nuc or a split let me know since you're in central. Oh btw, you don't know who the AFB check person is around Alex- Clyde do you? I need to get my colony signed off.

Alexandra
Experience
Hobbyist
@jos@centalotago
i asked one of the locals who used to get carnies in, but it seams they have converted to italians. sorry i don't know who is doing them these days.
Thanks Tristan, I appreciate you making the effort 👍 yeah I'm leaning towards trying to get more diverse Italian stock because of lack of options on the Carniolan front at the moment, hopefully I'll be able to connect with someone in the future but for now it's Italians which is ok, Ive just heard really good things about Carniolan bees and really wanted to try them😁

Mark Lawrence

Founder Member
Christchurch
Experience
Breeder
Yeah I'm having real trouble finding any, and the stroppiest hive I had a run in with as an apprentice in the mid eighty's was Italian pure bred😅 and queenless. Counted 200 stings to the gloves, that was something else. I've only got one colony and a split I just took for the guy whose land I have my bee's on because he lost two this winter and only wants two so I really want to diversify the genetics in that apairy and another one I have that's waiting for bee's. If you're interested in selling a nuc or a split let me know since you're in central. Oh btw, you don't know who the AFB check person is around Alex- Clyde do you? I need to get my colony signed off.
Certified DECA Accredited Inspectors List | The Management Agency, National American Foulbrood Pest Management Plan New Zealand is a list of DECA holders who have put up their hands to do AFB inspections for COI signoff.

Wyndham
Experience
Hobbyist

I have my DECA. Its worth getting. But I am unavailable for checks. I can barely walk and check my own, let alone someone else's. 2 rounds of surgery have slowed me down a bit.

Reactions: jos@centalotago
Alexandra
Experience
Hobbyist

I have my DECA. Its worth getting. But I am unavailable for checks. I can barely walk and check my own, let alone someone else's. 2 rounds of surgery have slowed me down a bit.
It's okay, I was given a phone number to call and got a inspection arranged, I intend to get my DECA for next year, apparently I have to be registered for a year first👍I had a guy arranged but it turned out to be a muck around, his hives weren't even registered 🙄so it put me on the back foot. yeah a couple of surgery sessions will generally slow you down, take it easy😃👍