Conference feedback

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
Boo hoo sob sob don't be like that. I was lookin' forward to meeting ya and garner your image stylist's name. Do ya think a complimentary bottle of superior Leeston mead would tempt you? My favs are blackcurrant honey and thyme honey - Oh la la to die for! And of course I could save you a courier fee on superior quality queen candy. As we know freight is about to go through the roof post Covid. Crikey - I think that's all a v enticing offer! I understand it's only going to be a two day conference.
Frazzie - if yer rock up for 2 days. I will bring 2 bottles of mead!!!!!

Reactions: nikki watts
Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
Crikey - Just like to say this ain't no chat up line. 5 of the ABH staff all with different skills are in on the cider thingy, and then there is Bazza - more skills within the industry

Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
All 3 speakers (Shelley, Randy and Dennis VE) spoke about how mite treatments are not decreasing mite numbers in the first month. None of them. And also how reinvasion was happening of varroa by visiting bees. Too me, it was some pretty startling information that suggests other issues are at play rather than mite resistance to flumethrins.
Did I get this wrong John? But when Randy was talking about OA strips he mentioned Phil from NZ. Is this the Phil who used to post on the forum? If you don't know, maybe some of the forum posters could comment on this.

frazzledfozzle

Founder Member
Nelson/Tasman District
Experience
Commercial
Boo hoo sob sob don't be like that. I was lookin' forward to meeting ya and garner your image stylist's name. Do ya think a complimentary bottle of superior Leeston mead would tempt you? My favs are blackcurrant honey and thyme honey - Oh la la to die for! And of course I could save you a courier fee on superior quality queen candy. As we know freight is about to go through the roof post Covid. Crikey - I think that's all a v enticing offer! I understand it's only going to be a two day conference.

lol @Maggie ive got a feeling I sat next to you at the conference dinner in Ashburton a few years ago.
I wasn’t wearing the F suit though :)

Could be wrong …..

Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
lol @Maggie ive got a feeling I sat next to you at the conference dinner in Ashburton a few years ago.
I wasn’t wearing the F suit though :)

Could be wrong …..
Wasn't me Frazz. I came home that night, cos heavy snow was forecast.

When mixing and mingling what was the feeling of Beekeepers on the ground about the future of the industry and their own operations?
People seem to be disappointed that there doesn't seem to be much unity in the industry, and its dog eat dog out there. Varroa & treatment seem to be a major concern. There were a diverse range of beekeeping operations who did well in the honey comps, and there seemed to be a lot of entries this year, and a lot of interest after the awards to inspect honey & alternative products.

frazzledfozzle

Founder Member
Nelson/Tasman District
Experience
Commercial
Wasn't me Frazz. I came home that night, cos heavy snow was forecast.

People seem to be disappointed that there doesn't seem to be much unity in the industry, and its dog eat dog out there. Varroa & treatment seem to be a major concern. There were a diverse range of beekeeping operations who did well in the honey comps, and there seemed to be a lot of entries this year, and a lot of interest after the awards to inspect honey & alternative products.

ahh yes i remember the snow warning :)
it must have been the Auckland conference the one out by some inlet / lake thingy, either that or it wasn’t you at all :)

I remember because whoever it was I was sitting next too was much taller than me, very bubbly and like me was one of the few female beekeepers/queen rearers at that time.

great barrier island
Experience
Semi Commercial
When mixing and mingling what was the feeling of Beekeepers on the ground about the future of the industry and their own operations?
We had a stand for our export group.
There was lots of mono manuka being offered in the 10-15+ range, heaps coming ripe after being matured.
Some lovely old guys with just a few hives trying to sell their 180kg crops for top dollar and lots of young enthusiastic guys in their second or third year ready to expand and take the world on.
Seems like lots of beeks holding their breath waiting for the big sale.

• Good Info
Reactions: frazzledfozzle
Gisborne Tairawhiti
Experience
Researcher
Did I get this wrong John? But when Randy was talking about OA strips he mentioned Phil from NZ. Is this the Phil who used to post on the forum? If you don't know, maybe some of the forum posters could comment on this.
Yes, Phil in Taupo. As I recall from Phil's posts, he used to mention that he had been in touch with Randy and provided him with some staples. But as per Randy's presentation, he wants to persevere with something that lies across the top of the frames, rather than having to insert something. But I suspect Randy is also experimenting with that as well.

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
We all like those feel good fuzzy movies where the underdog wins through against the evil Titans ..... and evryone lives happi ly ever after .

Beekeeping might be the same. Big dreams , lotsa hives, big trucks, spa pool by the real indoor pool and french doors opening out to the sound of the Bellbird, but I think the reality is a low profile and a sore back , chugging away at what you are good at .... hoping like hell you might pay the bills and put a bit aside for a night out in Waimate.

great barrier island
Experience
Semi Commercial
di
We all like those feel good fuzzy movies where the underdog wins through against the evil Titans ..... and evryone lives happi ly ever after .

Beekeeping might be the same. Big dreams , lotsa hives, big trucks, spa pool by the real indoor pool and french doors opening out to the sound of the Bellbird, but I think the reality is a low profile and a sore back , chugging away at what you are good at .... hoping like hell you might pay the bills and put a bit aside for a night out in Waimate.
did your buyer come through with the cash ?

Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
Yes, Phil in Taupo. As I recall from Phil's posts, he used to mention that he had been in touch with Randy and provided him with some staples. But as per Randy's presentation, he wants to persevere with something that lies across the top of the frames, rather than having to insert something. But I suspect Randy is also experimenting with that as well.
Top bar application looked easier. Would be nice to have an update on both their results somewhere along the line.

frazzledfozzle

Founder Member
Nelson/Tasman District
Experience
Commercial

ahh the good old days :)

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
di

did your buyer come through with the cash ?
Hmmmm .....Oh crikey, it's the 30 of the month ...... the debit card just crashed at the bottle store ..... sort of an omen really as tomorrow is the start of Dry July .....
Grumpy Man Month ....or Real Man Month.
But in all seriousness, loading out honey friday ...... so maybe we can celebrate on the next 30th.
No rush, eh Bro.