Contractual agreements.

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Status
Not open for further replies.
canterbury
Experience
Commercial
The world thrives on contracts and business's shell out gazillions to lawyers to draw up and peruse watertight contracts, from which they gain more revenue trying to sort out the leaks that shysters and vagabonds manage to poke with a stick.

In our time in business we have had all sorts of contracts, ranging from 64 page jaw dropping yawns cobbled together to pave the way for business growth and expansion, to employement contracts with Wanna Bee's to ensure they don't run us out of town after we have taught them the basics of the trade.
And we have had Honey contracts.

The best one we had was with an overseas buyer. An old mate once called the buyer a Scum Sucking Bottom Dweller, but we dealt with him for over twenty years and he never once reneged on his word. The only paperwork involved was when the monies were deposited into our account and the amount registered on the statement.

And the worst one ..... ?
I always do a back peddle when a salesman struts into my life, cocky as a peacock in designer jeans and pointed boots that have never kicked at Bee shist promising riches to fritter away on my vices.
One such Peacock came into our life a few months ago. Bought the entire crop in thirty seconds with promises of deposits and full and final payement by the thirty of the month.

Seems like Jimmy has'nt learnt nothing.
The deposit was reduced to a fraction due to 'tight times' and the thirtieth has been and gone several times and my frittered vice still sits gleaming and elusive behind the shop window in town.

Honey contracts eh ...... maybe I need to go buy a pair of Alligator skin boots for my next meeting !

southbee

Gold
Southland
Experience
Commercial
Feel for you, times are tight and makes one trust people and do deals you wouldn't do other years. Go and pay him a visit, personally, and demand your money. Might work better then involving lawyers and definitely cheaper.

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
I could go and sit in the mans office with my shiny Alligator boots kicking my drums all day , and come home none the wiser.
My lawyer is a big black man from the Orient.
He has a bald head and a handshake that has twice the grip of my busted vice in the workshop.
He takes no shist ......and I just like the kick in the arse apeal that a law mans letter has .......

Big business should be professional if they want to remain Big.
If they can't afford my lollies, don't ring the bell on my door.

great barrier island
Experience
Semi Commercial
The world thrives on contracts and business's shell out gazillions to lawyers to draw up and peruse watertight contracts, from which they gain more revenue trying to sort out the leaks that shysters and vagabonds manage to poke with a stick.

In our time in business we have had all sorts of contracts, ranging from 64 page jaw dropping yawns cobbled together to pave the way for business growth and expansion, to employement contracts with Wanna Bee's to ensure they don't run us out of town after we have taught them the basics of the trade.
And we have had Honey contracts.

The best one we had was with an overseas buyer. An old mate once called the buyer a Scum Sucking Bottom Dweller, but we dealt with him for over twenty years and he never once reneged on his word. The only paperwork involved was when the monies were deposited into our account and the amount registered on the statement.

And the worst one ..... ?
I always do a back peddle when a salesman struts into my life, cocky as a peacock in designer jeans and pointed boots that have never kicked at Bee shist promising riches to fritter away on my vices.
One such Peacock came into our life a few months ago. Bought the entire crop in thirty seconds with promises of deposits and full and final payement by the thirty of the month.

Seems like Jimmy has'nt learnt nothing.
The deposit was reduced to a fraction due to 'tight times' and the thirtieth has been and gone several times and my frittered vice still sits gleaming and elusive behind the shop window in town.

Honey contracts eh ...... maybe I need to go buy a pair of Alligator skin boots for my next meeting !
######. hope alligator man coughs up soon. It’s something I find odd about the honey business, we send our honey off without payment. Once the honey’s in the big mans shed we have to cross our fingers we’ll get paid.

southbee

Gold
Southland
Experience
Commercial
I could go and sit in the mans office with my shiny Alligator boots kicking my drums all day , and come home none the wiser.
He has a bald head and a handshake that has twice the grip of my busted vice in the workshop.
He takes no shist ......and I just like the kick in the arse apeal that a law mans letter has .......

Fair enough, good luck!

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
That is no different from any rural production.
With all due respect Trev....
Meat payments are 14 days after kill day.
We have a schedule out for venison production in jan/ feb 22.... $6.30 /kg...
Anyone gonna hazard a guess for this years honey crop......
Any buyers/packers wanna sign a forward contract, sight unseen....?

• Agree
Reactions: Sailabee

Trevor Gillbanks

Founder Member
Palmerston North
Experience
Hobbyist
With all due respect Trev....
Meat payments are 14 days after kill day.
We have a schedule out for venison production in jan/ feb 22.... $6.30 /kg...
Anyone gonna hazard a guess for this years honey crop......
Any buyers/packers wanna sign a forward contract, sight unseen....?
That's great. However, I was really talking about producers being price takers rather than price makers. Also, there are a lot or producers over the years who never did get their payment.
Sounds like the Venison industry at least has its act together.

• Good Info
Reactions: James
Taupo
Experience
Hobbyist
Dare I say, that is why dealing with a reputable meat processing company, rather than some bloke in alligator boots, is probably the more prudent option!

Reactions: Trevor Gillbanks

frazzledfozzle

Founder Member
Nelson/Tasman District
Experience
Commercial

have you had dealings with this company before ?
is it an established company ?
north or south ?

canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Aeah .... Don't be tooo nervous Frazz ....
Different operators have different Modus Operandii .
The one I liked best was selling honey to some guys a while back who sent a reciept back the next day....
Honey purchased.
Purchase price
Payement schedule.

They were very business like. Both parties knew exactly where they stood.

This is our first time dealing with these guys ....
Who knows .....

But I do get the cold shivers at 3.00am when the dog whines to be let out for a pee .....so we both go out ..... and I gaze at the stars and remember back to when we had a corporate JV and were promised the earth and in the end the Law Man had to fight for every last cent from a glitzy company that had plenty of Huie .....

Life's learning curve , eh !

West Coast
Experience
Hobbyist
Aeah .... Don't be tooo nervous Frazz ....
Different operators have different Modus Operandii .
The one I liked best was selling honey to some guys a while back who sent a reciept back the next day....
Honey purchased.
Purchase price
Payement schedule.

They were very business like. Both parties knew exactly where they stood.

This is our first time dealing with these guys ....
Who knows .....

But I do get the cold shivers at 3.00am when the dog whines to be let out for a pee .....so we both go out ..... and I gaze at the stars and remember back to when we had a corporate JV and were promised the earth and in the end the Law Man had to fight for every last cent from a glitzy company that had plenty of Huie .....

Life's learning curve , eh !
I have a fair idea who that company was and I would not touch them with a barge pole especially after talking to the locals

Canterbury
Experience
Hobbyist
I feel for you! Packers are always in such a powerful position so often they take advantage of this. I believe I saw the picture of your honey buyer,s truck in one of posts....
Our industry misses long term relationships between producers and packers. It appears, currently both parties are just looking for a one off transaction.....
I doubt how sustainable this sort of supply chain model is.

• Agree
Reactions: James and bighands

frazzledfozzle

Founder Member
Nelson/Tasman District
Experience
Commercial
I feel for you! Packers are always in such a powerful position so often they take advantage of this. I believe I saw the picture of your honey buyer,s truck in one of posts....
Our industry misses long term relationships between producers and packers. It appears, currently both parties are just looking for a one off transaction.....
I doubt how sustainable this sort of supply chain model is.

can you point me in the direction of the truck photo ?

Status
Not open for further replies.