Dying bees - can I get them tested

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Christchurch
Experience
Semi Commercial
So,I have quite a lot of bees dying out the front of the hives in Heathcote Valley. Lyttelton beeks have been talking a lot about poisoning problems for the past month and they’re just over the hill from me.

The bees aren’t dying with their tongues out, colonies are strong, have good stores, no varroa, no DWV... they are slow and stumbling, shuddering and crashing when trying to fly. Photos attached.

I feel like there is somewhere I could send a sample... any help appreciated.

F3502380-4BD2-4E43-BEFD-EC0DA2DF2578.jpeg46673720-1EA6-432B-B443-3B20CC4C0FAB.jpegBBA20C2B-83B6-4388-82BD-F407E52923CD.jpeg648F483F-0BFF-4E53-B70C-8CDA983B822D.jpeg

Canterbury
Experience
Hobbyist
You are to call the MPI hotline and report this to them. 0800809966 as a potential exotic pest or disease.
You can
Also complete a “pollinator incident report” with the EPA they can arrange tests to identify pesticides in affected bees

Reactions: CHCHPaul
Gisborne Tairawhiti
Experience
Researcher
Go get some zip lock bags and grab some samples ..... the dead ,the dying and the survivors and whack them in the freezer ..... perhaps @JohnF can help ....

Sorry, not too much help here - it doesn’t look like a virus or pathogen.
Can only repeat other’s advice and freeze a sample of bees but also collect some new honey into the fridge.
Are there dead bees on the baseboard?
The incidence report above is good - the EPA say that they don’t receive as many as they should

Gisborne Tairawhiti
Experience
Researcher
We have never seen Acute Bee Paralysis Virus (not to say its not out there though) and tracheal mites are not in NZ at this time. We do see Chronic Bee Paralysis Virus but not to the extent above - the bees will 'tremble' on the frames and a few are outside (booted out). Alistair had a good video of CBPV some years back from memory

Christchurch
Experience
Semi Commercial
Sorry, not too much help here - it doesn’t look like a virus or pathogen.
Can only repeat other’s advice and freeze a sample of bees but also collect some new honey into the fridge.
Are there dead bees on the baseboard?
The incidence report above is good - the EPA say that they don’t receive as many as they should
Thanks for the info... and damn! Wish I read this before opening the hive a wee while ago. The robbing is pretty bad atm when hives are open for any length

I collected dead, dying and live bees. Now in a zip lock bag in the freezer. But not fresh honey/nectar. Didn’t see dead bees on the base board.

Will call the hot line and submit a report.

Thanks for the help forum peeps!

Christchurch
Experience
Semi Commercial
It looks like a shady spot ?
is it happening throughout the day or just late in the day when temperatures are cooler ?
Yes, it is a shady spot, but I wouldn’t say cold or damp.

I presume it is happening early or late. They are spread out all over the place, but there was a big fresh clump out the door of a hive yesterday mid morning. What are you thinking?

frazzledfozzle

Founder Member
Nelson/Tasman District
Experience
Commercial
Yes, it is a shady spot, but I wouldn’t say cold or damp.

I presume it is happening early or late. They are spread out all over the place, but there was a big fresh clump out the door of a hive yesterday mid morning. What are you thinking?

I was wondering if they were getting chilled and if landing short didn’t have the energy to fly again.
although it’s really not that cold in the evenings yet so I’m probably off track with that thought.

Reactions: CHCHPaul and Grant
Christchurch
Experience
Semi Commercial
I was wondering if they were getting chilled and if landing short didn’t have the energy to fly again.
although it’s really not that cold in the evenings yet so I’m probably off track with that thought.
Thanks, but agreed, it’s a bit early for that. It’s my home apiary, so I can check that they’re all tucked up for the night 🤗

Reactions: frazzledfozzle
Mid Canterbury
Experience
Semi Commercial
So,I have quite a lot of bees dying out the front of the hives in Heathcote Valley.
he robbing is pretty bad atm when hives are open for any length
Didn’t see dead bees on the base board.
Do you think this could simply be a case of robbing by bees?

Last week at a well attended hobbyist meeting in ChCh, it was noted that robbing by bees and wasps is currently a major problem for hobbyists in ChCh (which contains Heathcote Valley).

Reactions: frazzledfozzle
Christchurch
Experience
Semi Commercial
Do you think this could simply be a case of robbing by bees?

Last week at a well attended hobbyist meeting in ChCh, it was noted that robbing by bees and wasps is currently a major problem for hobbyists in ChCh (which contains Heathcote Valley).
It’s possible I guess. I don’t think it is, but I’ll pay more attention. The bees are stumbling slowly away from the hives not fighting.

Hamilton
Experience
Researcher
To eliminate the possibility it's pesticide related, bag some bees and send them to a lab that does multiresidue pesticide screening. Ask them first though, they might not be willing to test bees. We certainly don't.

Christchurch
Experience
Semi Commercial
To eliminate the possibility it's pesticide related, bag some bees and send them to a lab that does multiresidue pesticide screening. Ask them first though, they might not be willing to test bees. We certainly don't.
Hi Jacob. Yes, that’s what I’m asking. Who can I send thrm to?

Reactions: Grant