NZBF: Early varroa treatment

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Christchurch
Experience
Beginner
Yes. But I bought 2. 1 x tall one and 1 x short one. Then put the short basket in the tall unit. This gives a better wash space for the varroa to drop into.
The commercial ones in trademe suggest just one container... add bees. Add icing sugar then shake over bowl of water. The mites drown which makes a count easier I suppose....[ although the animal rights activists might complain its cruelty to mites ;) ]Is that a viable option?

Trevor Gillbanks

Founder Member
Palmerston North
Experience
Hobbyist
The commercial ones in trademe suggest just one container... add bees. Add icing sugar then shake over bowl of water. The mites drown which makes a count easier I suppose....[ although the animal rights activists might complain its cruelty to mites ;) ]Is that a viable option?
I don't do sugar shakes as they are too unreliable. I like alcohol, CO2 or soapy water wash. Over too you what you do.
I made my videos so that people can adopt my methods or not. It is no skin off my nose either way.
Commercial shakers are quite expensive compared to my Systema one.

Reactions: Wknz
Bay of Plenty
Experience
Hobbyist
I made a comment but see it was already answered. Just getting the hang of using the forum and I don't know how to delete. It seems I can only edit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grant