Effectiveness of varroa treatment

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Alistair, I wouldn't be sitting on $7K of product you think is faulty. At the very least, you need to log this with both the company who supplied it and Elanco as well - they will probably take some of the strips to make sure they work. Make sure you keep any varroa from the riddled hives (dead in alcohol is just fine) because if you log in with Elanco then they will want some of the varroa for testing most likely.

We need a more user-friendly version of the Pettis (resistance) test available

Thanks John. Unfortunately a bit late now. Once I saw the carnage and losing more hives by the day, I panicked, drove down to the suppliers, got Apivar, and have put it in every hive that looks like it has a shot at making it to spring. And the rest, just to eliminate all possible mites.

As to the 7k of bayvarol, I know I am not alone in this, there are bigger and more influential beeks than me with the same issues, I'll wait for the outcome from whatever action they take & ride on their coat tails. Yeah lazy I know but I'm about done.

Next treatment round will start mid August, only a bit over 2 months away. All that can be done at this time has been done, I'm not opening any more hives now until then.

Just depending how things go I think losses will be limited to between 10% and 25%. This will not be a problem to make back up, I'm not worried about it. In fact I rather enjoyed the very intensive work I have done on the hives, and how I think I have pulled many of them back from the brink. More worried about the longer term implications of unreliable mite treatment.

Last edited:
Dunedin
Experience
Semi Commercial
More worried about the longer term implications of unreliable mite treatment.
My only suggestion is to branch out with your treatment options. There are others commercially available (formic based, thymol based etc - I don't have any experience with these) and there are a number of ways to apply the likes of oxalic acid. I know you have tried staples and didn't have the greatest success but I would recommend giving them another go.
It is worth experimenting using some of these other methods with at least some hives and seeing if and how you can get them to work for you.

looks like i will have to get my head around making my own OA strips.
Which part/s are you struggling with?

southbee

Gold
Southland
Experience
Commercial
I'm one of those with a bayvarol in spring, apivar in autumn approach. Nervous about spring treatment now..
We treated with Bayvarol this autumn and had no issues so far. But....keeping all what's said here well in my head to get prepared for when things change. Sooner or later we'll have to look at other treatment methods by the sounds of it.

• Agree
Reactions: frazzledfozzle
North Canterbury
Experience
Commercial
The ox/gl staple users are pretty quiet on this thread.. love to hear how they’re getting on around the country, just driven 1070km from auckland to home plenty of wintered down hives seen up north along SH1... what’s going on inside them all could be another story

• Agree
Reactions: frazzledfozzle
North Canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Can neither confirm nor deny 😉 I’m happy with state of my nation at this stage of the game.. starting tomorrow we are in for the drenching of all drenchings for over 10 years if you believe the media... good to be beside the open fire that’s for sure.

North Canterbury
Experience
Commercial
Orange buckets are available to purchase from mitre ten.. a popular beekeepers fashion accessory these days it seems.. possibly full of used nitrile gloves or maybe even a good place to store smoker fuel or even used synthetic treatments

• Love
Reactions: Fieldbee (Mary)
Dunedin
Experience
Semi Commercial
Don't understand the secrecy...
I've covered what I do elsewhere. My oxalic/glycerine staples are working very nicely for me now and my hives are in as good a shape as they've ever been. I trust my own homemade treatments more than anything bought ready-made and feel much more in control of it all than I ever have before.
I know my brother (also a commercial beekeeper) has been using oxalic in other ways (mainly as a dribble) for years now (no synthetics) and has it working very nicely. He specializes more in queen production so utilizes induced brood breaks to make it work well.

frazzledfozzle

Founder Member
Nelson/Tasman District
Experience
Commercial
I would very much like to give Phil’s staples another go but so nervous after the disaster we had when we used them in autumn a few years ago.

I think in retrospect it was probably a combination of the staples and us not really knowing what we were doing that caused our big losses.

it’s one of those chicken and egg situations but probably our actions caused the problem.

kaihoka

Gold
whanganui inlet
Experience
Hobbyist
I would very much like to give Phil’s staples another go but so nervous after the disaster we had when we used them in autumn a few years ago.

I think in retrospect it was probably a combination of the staples and us not really knowing what we were doing that caused our big losses.

it’s one of those chicken and egg situations but probably our actions caused the problem.
I used them for two yrs and it worked and will try and get hold of more .
But I would use bayvarol and apivar some yrs .
Mix it up I think .