First inspection part 2

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Te Horo
Experience
Hobbyist
Oops post on wrong thread originally.
A beautiful sunny day here in Kapiti today so had the first look at the hives since I picked them up at the end of July.
Still have plenty of honey, uncapped and capped brood, pollen coming in as well.
I did have concern with top boxes being attached to bottom frames, but got that sorted. No sign of V or AFB to my untrained eye, but will keep checking.
What I did find from where the top and bottom frames where waxed together where these darlings, the first lot I just scraped off but noticed a lot of white Jelly? So I left the 2nd one on the frame as I noticed the bees were all over it...repairing perhaps. Is this just a normal larvae or have I upset something else. I left the hive alone until I could get some advice.
Cheers

Attachments

• 20210819_151746.jpg
    20210819_151746.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210819_151822.jpg
    20210819_151822.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: tommy dave

yesbut

Staff member
Nelson
Experience
Hobbyist
This is just normal larvae in cells built where there's a bit more gap than the regulation "beespace" Clean them off when you inspect otherwise you'll end up with a gummed up mess.

Reactions: NZDan
Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
I used to be in the scrape everything brigade. These days unless the burr comb is preventing the hive going back together properly I tend to leave it till the next round. It is surprising how often the Queen ends up on top of the frames at this time of year and if you accidentally kill her there is no chance of her being replaced. Hives will also be stronger in a months time and more able to cope with the stress of scraping and manipulation.As for your two boxes sticking together that happens to some extent with all hives but is far more noticeable with plastic frames and one of the reasons I have gone back to using nothing but wood.

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
many years ago we bought hives from a retiring beek.
every queen excluder was mangled. zero cleaning done, they just shoved it back on top of the burr comb.

i like to give the hive a good clean the first time your in it for the season. that simply speeds up the next inspections.
get the house work done so your not tripping over it when the busy time kicks in.