Flooded hives

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Friend had 10 hives washed away, in a place I said not to put them due to flood risk. They said it's OK I'll be moving them in winter. I said but you never know what may happen, they said it will be fine.

In my younger days I had an entire apiary washed away, not a stick left, no sign it had even been there. I was not rich and it hurt. We probably all have to learn the hard way before it really sinks in.

Bay of Plenty
Experience
Commercial
Friend had 10 hives washed away, in a place I said not to put them due to flood risk. They said it's OK I'll be moving them in winter. I said but you never know what may happen, they said it will be fine.

In my younger days I had an entire apiary washed away, not a stick left, no sign it had even been there. I was not rich and it hurt. We probably all have to learn the hard way before it really sinks in.
Yep same here, a 100 hives a week before pollination. Hard lessons but u don’t forget them.

Bay of Plenty
Experience
Commercial
316f7c52-6ce0-4bd2-86bc-1f13a527542b.jpg

Cyclone Gabrielle Update for Beekeepers

This morning the government declared a National State of Emergency to assist in the response to Cyclone Gabrielle. The declaration applies to six regions: Northland, Auckland, Tairāwhiti, Bay of Plenty, Waikato, and Hawkes Bay.

The declaration allows the government to unlock resources to support affected regions.

The nature of how support for individuals and businesses to recover from this current event will work will become clearer once the emergency is over. It is likely to build on initiatives already running in response to the Upper North Island weather events in late January.

ApiNZ is working closely with MPI to make sure beekeeping businesses are considered in all decisions it makes on supporting the primary sector in affected regions.

We know that many beekeepers will be concerned about the state of their hives and will be anticipating an inability to access hives in the near future.

For those experiencing particular challenges please make contact with us here info@apinz.org.nz The more information we have from beekeepers the better we will be able to represent your needs to government agencies.
For those affected, the existing support is summarised in an MPI factsheet

More detailed information can be found via these links on clean up support, the IRD income equalization scheme, and Wellbeing support.

ApiNZ will provide regular updates on the Cyclone to the ApiNZ’s website at www.apinz.org.nz

Stay safe.