Fungi

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Well turns out you are right Frazz, Dan filled me in on the name which is Ileodictyon cibarium. Wikipedia says - "while the immature volvae are edible, the mature fruit body is foul-smelling and covered with a slime layer containing spores on the inner surfaces".

Hmm, I never smelled them, hope that is not telling me something about myself 😮

Anyhow they are pretty, and there are more and more of them in this bee yard every year 🙂

kaihoka

Gold
whanganui inlet
Experience
Hobbyist
Well turns out you are right Frazz, Dan filled me in on the name which is Ileodictyon cibarium. Wikipedia says - "while the immature volvae are edible, the mature fruit body is foul-smelling and covered with a slime layer containing spores on the inner surfaces".

Hmm, I never smelled them, hope that is not telling me something about myself 😮

Anyhow they are pretty, and there are more and more of them in this bee yard every year 🙂
What are they like when they push through the ground .
Are they small domes that expand to a lattice.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
What are they like when they push through the ground .
Are they small domes that expand to a lattice.
Yes they are round white thinghs that look just like a mushroom that hasn't opened yet. Then the whole thing ruptures and the mature basket fungus pops out.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaihoka

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
Out garden supervisor told me they are edible. Brrrr . Not sure I'm keen
This is where you have to be so careful because you're only passing on half the information. It only takes one person to say wknz on nzbees told me they are edible and you're in trouble. In their immature form they are edible, but once they are a mature basket, they are not.
For an IT person it shouldn't be hard to verify your claims before making them

Christchurch
Experience
Beginner
This is where you have to be so careful because you're only passing on half the information. It only takes one person to say wknz on nzbees told me they are edible and you're in trouble. In their immature form they are edible, but once they are a mature basket, they are not.
For an IT person it shouldn't be hard to verify your claims before making them
My claim was what my garden supervisor told me. Thats 100% verified. But I take your point.