Gib Board tape for Oxalic acid/glycerine varroa treatments- buyer beware, not all brands are equal.

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dansar

Founder Member
BOP Club
Putaruru
Experience
Commercial
Hi all

Bit of info passed on from Phil. Regarding the type of plasterboard paper joint tape you might be using for diy treatments.

“ Hi Dan
It's very important that the forum beekeepers are made aware that the only plasterboard tape suitable for use with oxalic acid and Glycerine is that which is imported from the USA.
Even product lables cannot be relied upon.
If a roll of tape is purchased from a retailer it must be tested in a Saucer if solution before use.
It's unlikely that many retailers will have much American product left.
New product us largely from Asia and is a totally different material.
Buyer beware.

It's a covid related supply issue.
Probably temporary but the Asin stuff is likely here to stay.
This means that testing for soakability will he an ongoing exercise.
The issue is that Asian tape is not able to absorb oa gl at all.”

• Good Info
Reactions: Josh

Mummzie

Staff member
Tasman
Experience
Hobbyist
Thanks for posting @Dansar

but we test it in a saucer of water............what should we see, or what shouldn't we see?

FWIW- currently testing the ready cut cardboard strips.

Dansar

Founder Member
BOP Club
Putaruru
Experience
Commercial

but we test it in a saucer of water............what should we see, or what shouldn't we see?

Testing with water will only show it absorbs water. You will need to rest with Oxalic acid/glycerine made to strength to determine the correct amount is absorbed.

Reactions: Rob McInnes
maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
I think Randy Oliver is experimenting with Sweedish sponge.....
yes, they are available here at $$$$$$.

I have some bamboo fibre kitchen towels to experiment with.
thx for the suggestion i'll have to look that up.

at the moment i've found an organic version of the "maximizer" strips he was trying. again $$$.
also some of the medical pads look a possibility.

Christchurch
Experience
Commercial

I feel the biggest issue with the pre-made cardboard strips is - because of the layers in them the glue used is unknown. It "could be" a toxic mix when added to OA.

Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
A really great question. And on the back of it. What medium allows controlled release and at what rate.
The Randy Oliver information is well worth a read. It implies that there are two factors. 1.
How much OA per hive 2. Surface area required to deliver this effectively.

The interesting part was his research suggests the sponges between the boxes need ½ the surface area compared to the strips hung between the frames.

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
A really great question. And on the back of it. What medium allows controlled release and at what rate.
The Randy Oliver information is well worth a read. It implies that there are two factors. 1.
How much OA per hive 2. Surface area required to deliver this effectively.

The interesting part was his research suggests the sponges between the boxes need ½ the surface area compared to the strips hung between the frames.

yes it seams to be a complicated mess of factors.

the big question is can laying pads on top of the frames work with single brood box hives.
i really hope so because thats a lot cheaper and easier to do. putting the staples in is a pain and staples requires more strips than. plus i think randy's mix of 1:1 is a bit safer. its a bit slower but safer for the bees.
hopefully i will get to do some trails later in the season.

@Dansar the Swedish sponge and bamboo towels have turned up so might get to look at that in a few weeks.

Reactions: Dansar
Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
The single box is mentioned in the Oliver stuff. And he too wonders about singles and nucs. I think that’s a work in progress for him. But in the meantime strips work with enough surface area.

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
The single box is mentioned in the Oliver stuff. And he too wonders about singles and nucs. I think that’s a work in progress for him. But in the meantime strips work with enough surface area.
yes they do work. however they are slow to put in which becomes important when you start doing 1000's. something Randy Oliver also mentions.
the other factor is safety in handling acid, especially a lot of it. simpler it is the less mistakes will happen.