Gisborne District Council Beekeeping Survey

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
Gisborne District Council wants anyone with an interest in beekeeping to take part in a short survey.

The survey began on Monday and can be filled out online until noon Tuesday, May 31.

“We want to understand how private beekeeping has changed over the past 10 years to ensure any alterations to the bylaw work with private beekeeping practices now and in the future,” a council spokesperson said.

“To do this we need to hear from current, past and future beekeepers or anyone with a particular interest or expertise in beekeeping.”

The survey is part of an overall review of the council's Keeping of Animals, Poultry and Bees bylaw.

For more information and to complete the short survey, head to

A full public consultation on other parts of the bylaw review will happen later this year.

Gisborne Tairawhiti
Experience
Researcher
I circulated this earlier to the Gisborne beekeeping email list - hopefully there have been a few replies to the survey. Generally, Gisborne conditions are fairly standard (1 hive if 600 sq m and 2 hives above 900 sq m for urban areas). To me, its about not eroding what we already have

Christchurch
Experience
Hobbyist
I circulated this earlier to the Gisborne beekeeping email list - hopefully there have been a few replies to the survey. Generally, Gisborne conditions are fairly standard (1 hive if 600 sq m and 2 hives above 900 sq m for urban areas). To me, its about not eroding what we already have

We’re very lucky here in Christchurch/Canterbury. No bylaw controls at all. I easily keep 2 hives on my suburban 800m2. And all but 1 neighbour is completely unaware, or doesn’t care, as far as I know. The one who does know, loves the bees in their garden.