Logbook: Grant's example beekeeping logbook Jan 21

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
Date
Feb 16, 2021
Apiary Identifier
Home
Time of Day
Afternoon 3pm
Weather Conditions
Sunny warm 34C
Hive Rating
3.00 star(s)
Queen Identified
No
Eggs
Yes
Larvae
No
Capped Brood
Spotty
Laying Workers
Yes
Queen Cells
Supercedure
Honey - food stores
Low
Pollen present
No
Pests & Disease
  1. AFB
  2. Varroa
  3. DWV
Population
Medium
Number of Supers
Number of Brood Boxes
Temperament
Techy
Has hive swarmed
Not Checked
Honey Flow
Stopped
Signs of Robbing
Yes
Here in the message area you might have comments on your findings.
Perhaps and easy to read summary of important events that can help you assess where their hive may be at the following year.
Events worth noting could be how much winter feed they went into winter with, and how much they had left by the time the next seasons flow starts, and a bunch of stuff like that,

Please note: Some of the below questions are either required or not. Disease is multiple choice

Last edited:

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
this bit?

1613415845076.png

You can of course use the big freetext box where you comment too.
I need to add a bit on robbing, and flow etc

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
I've added in a couple more sections this morning around robbing and honey flow and overall hive rating. I'll be interested on how you guys find it when using it.

Marlborough
Experience
Hobbyist
Thanks Grant. The need for a report sheet just came up at Marlborough Beekeepers committee meeting. It looks like something we could adapt.

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
Thanks Grant. The need for a report sheet just came up at Marlborough Beekeepers committee meeting. It looks like something we could adapt.
Absolutely. Your members could definitely use it. Maybe even link it to a club forum, like we do for BOP

Marlborough
Experience
Hobbyist
I'm not sure what this achieves ......?
For a small number of club hives it acts as a reminder of what to look for/notice. Also when different people supervise novice members a good record of what state the hive was in at the last inspection would be helpful.

A quick google image search gives a wide range of options. Most free to download too.
Still looking for the most suitable option.

Reactions: NZDan

Grant

Staff member
Founder Member
Platinum
I'm not sure what this achieves ......?
Well originally we had a hive/ apiary diary with the following instructions.

Here is your opportunity to tell us (and remind yourself) about what is going on in your hives during the month of January 2021. The idea is you can look back and see when you placed treatments, what hives were strong, what were weak, when you re-queened, split, added boxes, what flows were on etc.

But its become a beekeeping conversation starter because people seem afraid of starting new posts

Marlborough
Experience
Semi Commercial
Well originally we had a hive/ apiary diary with the following instructions.

Here is your opportunity to tell us (and remind yourself) about what is going on in your hives during the month of January 2021. The idea is you can look back and see when you placed treatments, what hives were strong, what were weak, when you re-queened, split, added boxes, what flows were on etc.

But its become a beekeeping conversation starter because people seem afraid of starting new posts
I just use a wee note book. Which at the start of the season seems to be used alot. Towards the end not so much.
We used to use a check sheet which was good if you had someone else with you. You could just tell them the state of the hive.
When we got pass 50 hives it become a pain in the butt.